Summary

Error '685 error deleting backup' message from server

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS x 10.6.8

Description of the issue

We rather consistently get the "FMServer Error 685 Error occurred while deleting backup folder" from FMServer as it tries to remove old backups.  This happened a number of months ago, then went away, but has now restarted in the past few weeks.
           For a bit I was thinking that it was related to the number of subdirectories in a given folder; it seemed to happen when it was at 2310 subdirs.  And the file/folder left over was the last one when sorted alphabetically.  (These subfolder names are just numbers, but "999" is often - but not always - the culprit, even though there are many folders exceeding "1000".)  But I have done more/less than that and get errors with specific files, or subdirs, or...
           The file permissions on the file that seems to cause the problem are the same as other files that don't have problems:  -rw-r--r--

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have been doing a variety of testing to try and narrow it down, but haven't hit upon a solid factor.  It is either the file, the directory, the number of directories...or something else entirely.  I have a rather large list of the various tests I have done, and would be happy to send it on to you.

Expected result

Files get deleted without incident.

Actual result

They aren't deleted.  Sometimes they are deleted on the next round, many times they are not and they continue to throw errors.

Workaround

Manually deleting the directories that didn't get deleted.