just a shot in the dark since I have minor experience with FMServer:
Is there a chance that this conflict is caused by any privileges OR writing protection issue?
Is there any significancy with that number of 682 errors? Is it 685 records to be deleted by that script?
Sorry to not be clear; the '685' is the error code returned when server fails to delete the files. It isn't an actual number of files or directories or anything. I will clarify my ticket.
Thanks for pointing to that thread. I am quite familiar with it, however, as I am the 'Cronk' that posted over there, too. :)
In my current situation, yes it is external containers, however each one is contained in an individual directory. My original problem in that thread was caused by all the files showing up in a single directory. The current problem only has one file per sub-dir, and then a bunch of sub-dirs (2300+) in a single directory.
Oddly, my issue appears to have gone into remission. It was a test that I thought I had done previously, but went ahead and tried using the internal system: I made a copy of the bad Excel file in question, pasted it into a plain text document (it is just simple text in the Excel sheet), and then uploaded that plain text document back to the database record. I haven't been getting any errors since then.
However, I don't really think that this is the root cause; I think there are other issues going on. This file that I ended up removing had been working just fine for a number of months before it started to act up. It didn't appear that it had been messed with. Oh well.