Summary

Error 701 WebDirect crashes

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows Server 2012 R2

Description of the issue

The web publishing engine crashes. There is no pattern in up-time nor a real log entry, it only states 'The web publishing engine was terminated abnormal'.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Restart the server and wait for the dead of the wpe.

Expected result

Server should be up and running. (We paid almost 7000 USD for the FileMaker Server 13 unlimited Server software)

Actual result

constant crashes and unsatisfied users.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Sun Jul 20 20:38:12 CEST 2014     Server-Ereignisse     Fehler     Der Prozess Web Publishing Engine wurde abnorm beendet.

Configuration information

10 GB RAM (about 4 GB) constantly free)
      Plenty of SSD
      not more than 2-3 Webdirect users are connected at the same time.

• 1. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
          TSGal

Patrick Risch:

Thank you for your post.

First, FileMaker Server was tested and certified under Windows Server 2012 Standard; not R2.  Have you tried this under a certified configuration?

Besides WebDirect users, are there any Custom Web Publishing users?

What is occurring in the Event.log just prior to the Web Publishing Engine crash?

Do you have a system log at the time the Web Publishing Engine failed?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
            PatrickRisch

Hi TSGal
                 Thanks for your answer.
                 I have tried the same file on a MacOS 10.8.5 and FileMaker Server 13.0.v2. (this is a supported OS)
                 I could pinpoint it to a certain file entering find mode on a certain layout.
                 WebDirect crashes immediatley when entering find mode. The crash does not occur on other layouts.
                 I run on a duplicate file the  'recovery' command to check if the file is damaged. No damage reported. However the recover command creates a  table ‚recovered library‘ with one empty record (Field: From Table’ Field: ‚Recovered Blob‘) - no data in either field.

Bug tracing work:
                 I did copy all Layouts objects, deleted all Layout objects, pasted the copied Layouts objects again. - Still crash
                 I removed all Script Triggers  - Still crahs
                 I did remove all Layout objects and added one by one - still crash with the firs field
                 I made a complete new layout and pasted all Layout objects from the old Layout to the new  - NO crash

With each crash I needed to restart the whole Mac - just re-enabling the Web-Engine in the Admin Console is no help.
                 Neither the admin console slider control (restart Web Publishin) nor the Terminal command fsadmin wpe -f does bring the Web Publishing alive.

This was a very time consuming work.

Please forward this error to the development department. This is a very annoying bug.

May I suggest:

1. The Web Publishing engine should not crash.

2. The Protocol in the admin console should be more informative. On the tab 'Web Publishing' the option 'report errors and information' ist active. But the log shows hardly anything. It is almos impossible to pinpoint an error like this.

3. The Recover command should be either stating that the layout is broken or fix it.

Are you at the DevCon? So we could look at the file - if it is any help.

Patrick

• 3. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
              TSGal

Patrick Risch:

Thank you for the information.

Since this appears to be a specific layout in a specific file, it may be best if you send in a clone of the file so I (and others) can work with the file and determine what is making WebDirect/Filemaker Server crash.  Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

Although I will not be attending the Developer's Conference, other Support Technicians will be available.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
                TSGal

Patrick Risch:

I was out of the office the last two days.

I have received your files.  Thank you.  All files have been sent to Development and Testing for review.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
                  TSGal

Patrick Risch:

Our testers would like some additional information regarding the crashed machine.

1. Since WebDirect uses a lot of memory, how much memory is on the machine?

2. How many concurrent sessions are running?

3. What is the system resource consumption data such as the machine CPU and memory utilization.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
                    PatrickRisch

Hi TSGal

1. Since WebDirect uses a lot of memory, how much memory is on the machine?

10GB

2. How many concurrent sessions are running?

not more than 5 - since still testing struggling with WebDirect

3. What is the system resource consumption data such as the machine CPU and memory utilization.

1% CPU

44% RAM

Patrick

• 7. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
                      TSGal

Patrick Risch:

Thank you for the information.

I have sent the information to our testers, but as it turns out, one of the testers has been able to reproduce the issue.  This information has been sent to Development for review.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
                        PatrickRisch

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for the reply. That's good and bad news. So no quick solutions, but hopefully soon an update for the Server.

Patrick

• 9. Re: Error 701 WebDirect crashes
                          TSGal

Patrick Risch:

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Server 14.0.1.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.