Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue. Here are the steps I took:
1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v2 on Windows 7, I created a table with a Text field (Name) and a Container field (Picture).
2. On the layout, I set the Container field to slide up.
3. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 13.
4. I then opened the file from my Windows 7 machine, and added a few records; some with JPG files, and others records where the Container field was blank.
5. With all records found, I pulled down the File menu and selected "Save/Send Records As -> PDF...". I selected Records being browsed and saved the file as Untitled1.pdf. The file opens successfully with Adobe Reader.
6. I then found one record with no entry in the Container field, and went to "Save/Send Records As -> PDF...". I saved with "Records being browsed" (even though there was only one record being browsed", and it opened again in Adobe Reader.
7. I went to Save/Send Records As -> PDF... again, and changed this to Current record. This file (Untitled3.pdf) also opened fine.
Make sure you are using Adobe Reader XI (11.0.06).
Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.
Hmm not sure - can we WebEx and I can show you - or can I email you the PDF files.
Here is what I do:
- Go to report layout - Simple report with header, three container fields, footer
- Find record 1 (Image, Image, Image)
- Preview - click Save as PDF button in toolbar - Save as "Record1.pdf"
- Opens fine. (Have also tried File > Save/Send Record as > PDF - same result)
- Repeat with record 2 (Image, Blank, Image) - save as "Record2.pdf" (attached)
- Error on opening - header and first image are there; nothing after.
Oops - looks like I cannot attached a file. Can you contact me and we can WebEx or I can email you the files?Since you are at FileMaker I assume you can look up my info in my account (as opposed to me posting it).
Curiously, If I open the file from Fire Fox, I do not get an error message. If I down load the files and double click them from Windows 7, I see the error message with the second PDF file.
Hmm interesting - In FireFox do you see the footer line in Record1.pdf or is it truncated?
Thank you for the file links.
The second PDF file was not complete. Although it does open in Firefox and Mac OS X.
Try creating a new layout with similar settings (do not duplicate the layout). Does this work? If not, then I would like to see a clone of your file so I can try it here. Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.
On the "second PDF file was not complete" - yup - that is the error I am trying to fix.
OK I think you're onto something though. I cloned the layout and still got the error. Then I made a new layout from scratch and the error does not occur for record2. I will start recreating one of my full layouts to see if this resolves it (a pain).
Unfortunately I cannot send a copy of the file since it contains a ton of confidential information. If I cannot get the error fixed by rebuilding all the layouts I'll figure out a way to subset & redact the content and post.
Thanks for the help and I'll let you know how the rebuild goes next week.
(Any idea what causes this?)
Unfortunately I cannot send a copy of the file since it contains a ton of confidential information.
You don't have to send the data, just a clone (empty copy) of the database file.
It looks like rebuilding the layouts from scratch has fixed the problem. Not sure what got horked up but creating a new layout from scratch and then cutting and pasting all the fields over from the original is working. This tells me there was nothing wrong in the database, fields, scripts, for layout configuration itself. Something inside FileMaker's representation of the layout in PDF was broken - but I'll leave the troubleshooting of that up to you guys.
Thanks for all the help.