8 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 10:55 AM by TSGal

Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...

padaddy

Summary

Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 advanced

Operating system version

windows vista

Description of the issue

Whenever I try to run an open URL script step using an FMP URL I get the error below.
      There are no other copies of FileMaker on the network I am on.  I only get this message when trying to use an open URL step with FMP.  Rebooting and upgrading to v 12.0 v3 have not had any effect.  I understand this was sometimes an issue with FM 11, but thought this was resolved in 12.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create open URL script step with an FMP protocol to open a FM file.

Expected result

to open the FM file

Actual result

Error message, and FM exits

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.  Please refer to the License key section of your software documentation for further instructions.  License Key conflict with user "MHLLTSSEARS"  All files will be closed and the application will quit."

It seems that this has worked in the past week.  But I have made no changes to the computer or FMP during this time.

Configuration information

The computer name mentioned in the error message is the same computer on which I am trying to run the script.

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
          hamrichards

'm getting the same error in FMP 13 A. Don't the FileMaker folks care?

• 2. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
            TSGal

hrichards:

Thank you for your post.

This error occurs when FileMaker is launched and detects the number of instances of the license key has exceeded the number allowed.  Are you using a volume license version of FileMaker Pro Advanced 13?  If not, is someone else on the network using FileMaker Pro Advanced 13 with the same license key?

Shannon Sears:

My apologies for not seeing this posting sooner.  If you are still having the issue, please let me know.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
              padaddy

As for my initial question- it was FileMaker 12, and we did have a volume license, though I believe I had this particular laptop in question was installed using a license from DevCon.  But I was getting the error even at home, where I had the only computer on the network with FMP on it.  It was strange because it had been working fine, and then suddenly would not work anymore.  I never did get it working again.  In the end of December I got a new laptop and eventually put FM 13 on it.  So far it has been working fine.

• 4. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
                TSGal

Shannon Sears:

Thanks for the update, even if you never got a resolution to the initial problem.  We'll try to do better next time.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
                  hamrichards

The failure I'm encountering occurs when my LAN consists of two MacBook Pros connected by an Ethernet cable (so they both have self-assigned IP addresses and no connection to the Internet). One MBP has a copy of FMP13A, the other has a copy of FMP12A. The attached screenshot shows the failure alert, which misidentifies my MBP as a "user" (which just might be some kind of clue about where the problem's coming from). The two copies of FMP have different license keys: they begin with 3164J and 38X84, respectively. One is licensed to me, the other to Austin Rowing Club (for which I do much volunteer work, mainly on software for rowing regattas).

The failure occurs in a demo FMP12 file when it uses Open URL to invoke a script in another FMP12 file. Both FMP files are located on my MBP; the other MBP is powered on and connected as noted above, but otherwise plays no role in the scenario.

If I disconnect the Ethernet cable, the demo runs perfectly.

If I then turn on wi-fi in the MBP running the demo, but not on the other MBP, the failure reappears. Another clue?

Unfortunately, the actual application in which I need to use Open URL requires two machines connected in a LAN sharing an FMP12 file. The Open URL step would be used by either client or host to request the other to close a window (to avoid the dreaded "This record can't be modified because it is open in another window" alert).

So unless the Open URL problem gets fixed, I'm looking for another way to enable either client or host to get the other to run a script. Maybe AppleScript...

--Ham

• 6. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
                    TSGal

hrichards:

Is it possible you have two copies of FileMaker Pro on the same machine?  When you execute the Open URL step, the browser may be calling FileMaker Pro on the machine, and the first application the browser finds will then launch.  If you have a second copy of FileMaker Pro on the machine that has the same license key as the second machine, you will then get the License Key conflict.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
                      hamrichards

There are in fact three copies of FileMaker Pro Advanced on one machine:

version     license key
                         13           3164J
                         12           32N81
                         11           3V3MJ

and one copy on the other machine:

version     license key
                          12          38X84

You can see that each copy has its own unique license key, so there are no license-key conflicts.

--Ham

PS This forum site has its annoying idiosyncrasies. Typing a return jumps the cursor to the upper left corner, and my session times out even as I'm typing. When it times out, a window pops up telling me to sign in again in order to save (and post) what I'm working on, but when I follow the instructions the text I was composing is blank. 

• 8. Re: Error in FMP adv 12: The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy...
                        TSGal

hrichards:

Since I am unable to replicate the issue, send in a clone of your file and I'll try it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.