Error renaming Progressive Backup InProgress_FMS folder

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

FileMaker Server 12 and FileMaker Server Advanced 12

Operating system version

Windows Server 2008 R2

Description of the issue

Intermittently, but increasingly, the following error is appearing on both FMSA12 and FMS12 servers:

"FileMaker Server 12.0.3.327 on FILEMAKER9 reported the following event:

2014-08-05 18:04:32.211 -0400     Error     795     FILEMAKER9     Error renaming progressive backup folder from "filewin:/D:/FileMakerProgressiveBackups/InProgress_FMS/" to "IncrementalBackup_2014-08-05_1804". (20402)"

The error is always the same, including the last number (20402). The only variation is the server name ("FILEMAKER8" or "FILEMAKER9") and the timestamp string (i.e. "..._2014-08-05_1544"). The error is very sporadic, with no set pattern. It arises with no users accessing the servers.

The event does not follow a regular pattern, but is becoming more frequent (from ~once a day to ~12 times a day). One server shows it much more often than the other.

Steps to reproduce the problem

The event happens spontaneously, during the times when no users are in the files.

Expected result

I would not expect to see the error at all.

Actual result

Increasing errors.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

FileMaker Server 12.0.3.327 on FILEMAKER9 reported the following event:

2014-08-05 18:04:32.211 -0400     Error     795     FILEMAKER9     Error renaming progressive backup folder from "filewin:/D:/FileMakerProgressiveBackups/InProgress_FMS/" to "IncrementalBackup_2014-08-05_1804". (20402)

Configuration information

The servers are both Windows 2008 R2 hexacore physical boxes, with 16GB RAM. FILEMAKER8 (the server with the most frequent error messages) has 164GB free of 180GB on the D: drive. FILEMAKER9 has 163GB free of 180GB on the D: drive. The D drive is not used for anything remarkable, and there are no services apart from FMS running on these computers, apart from TSM accessing the backup database folder on the E: drive at 1:00 AM every evening.

Workaround

I haven't found a workaround.

InProgress_FMS_not_being_renamed.png

• 1. Re: Error renaming Progressive Backup InProgress_FMS folder
          TSGal

Beatrice Beaubien:

Thank you for your post.

Since this issue has not occurred previously, do you recall anything that has changed with your computing environment?

Regardless, since I have not encountered this issue previously, I have sent your post and screen shot to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Error renaming Progressive Backup InProgress_FMS folder
            BeatriceBeaubien

Thank you for your reply, TSGal. It has happened ever since the two servers were set up, more than a year ago. The frequency has accelerated recently on both servers.

Best wishes,

Beatrice

• 3. Re: Error renaming Progressive Backup InProgress_FMS folder
              BeatriceBeaubien

Resolution:

The Hardware Server Admin was asked if anti-virus scans were being conducted on that directory and he affirmed they were. After turning off the scans and last night's reboot after the Microsoft patch the errors have stopped. 

I apologize for the bandwidth, TSGal.

Also, thanks to PhilModJunk's tangential answer to a similar question, which pointed me in the right direction.

I hope this helps someone else. I understand now that the progressive backup process is the canary in the coal mine for hardware and backup admins not applying the correct policies, and that you can't be too explicit when you are specifying FileMaker Server directory exemptions from admin processes.