1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2012 1:20 PM by TSGal

Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''

osm

Summary

Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''

Description of the issue

ACTION: A network connection is interrupted, the local copy of Filemaker Pro closes any files open remotely on FMS.  orFilemaker crashes. EXPECTED RESULT: The user can reopen the files after the network connection is restablished and continue working, or if recovering from a crash, after Filemaker has been reopened.  ACTUAL RESULT: When users affected by this bug attempt to re-open their file after the network connection is re-established, the users will encounter the error, "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro." The users must then wait an unspecified period of time before continuing their work.   

• 1. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
          TSGal

osm:

Thank you for your post.

This has been documented in Knowledge Base article #2689.  The entire article can be found at:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2689 

Here is an excerpt from the article...

"This error message can occur when you attempt to restart FileMaker Pro immediately after the application or computer crashes and you relaunch FileMaker Pro.  In this case, wait a few minutes and try launching FileMaker Pro again.

Cause: After an application or computer crash, your license key is still "registered" on the network.  When you relaunch FileMaker Pro, it erroneously detects the license key on the network as a duplicate.  Waiting a few minutes allows the network information to refresh."

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
            osm

Right, so then given both FileMaker's propensity to crash (my FM9, for example, has already seized/crashed 3 times today) and the Filemaker Server 9 Advanced bug "Disconnect" of client fails in FMSA Admin console; client cannot be disconnected. which leads the server to believe a user is still connected even after he/she has been logged out for some time, wouldn't it be a smart idea for your engineering department to temporarily remove this painfully buggy error until somebody at Filemaker has devised a more logical solution to dealing with dirty scoundrels who install their purchased copy of Filemaker on two machines on their LAN? 

1. I am the only licensed user of my copy of FM9.  
            2. I get this error enough so that it is annoying.   
            3. That means simply it is a bug. 
            The KB article you linked to simply ought to acknowledge this, with perhaps even a timeframe for a fix.

• 3. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
              TSGal

osm:

Thank you for the additional comments.  At this time, no information is available if or when this is to be changed.

Regarding the link to your reported problem, please revisit the link, look at my reply and supply as much additional information possible so we can determine what might be the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                hschlossberg

I just have to add my two cents because this is most annoying, since it would seem a simple issue for the server to check whether my IP or MAC address matches the other login that it has with my registration key.

What's more frustrating is when you have other databases open, unsaved scripts open, etc., and you then try re-opening a file from another server that has quit on you -- and FileMaker just closes the entire application.  This is the part where my perception is of FileMaker saying "you're a criminal and we're shutting you down right now and you deserve absolutely no benefit of the doubt and ha-ha for losing your work you theiving pirate".  I get such a feeling 1-2 times each week.
                • 5. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                  JamesMeiss

Indeed. I must agree that this is an extremely annoying bug. Moreover since it happens even when Filemaker itself does not crash, but when you are disconnected from a remote database for some network reason--which in my experience happens all too often, I am very upset about this. When the licensing gets in the way of legitimate users then there is something really wrong.

I didn't know about this forum when I posted my own message about this bug. See <http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=4168#M4168

• 6. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                    jckadyk

Let me add my name to the list of frustrated users and IT admins that are growing impatient with the disruptions caused by this bug.

In my client's office there are 15-20 users regularly using several databases on a FileMaker Server 8.0v4. One user who I'll call "CC" encounters this max license error frequently when he brings his laptop in from home (Mac OS 10.5.8, FMP 9.0v4). His laptop's FMP license key is *only* installed on that computer and he has said repeatedly that he has not crashed, lost connection to the server, or slept his computer with FMP  open before the error occurs.

We've gotten into a routine of kicking all users off the databases and restarting the server, which seems to be the only solution that allows CC to log in (certainly not the useless and way outdated recommendations in FileMaker's KB article...although I remember using those successfully 10 years ago with FileMaker 4 on a FileMaker 3 server in a Mac OS 8 and 9 environment--FM support doesn't seem to have looked at the article since then as its recommendations predate OS X).

Would really appreciate some attention to this problem...I love FileMaker and have worked with it for 22 years but users have just about had it over this.

JK

James Meiss wrote:

Indeed. I must agree that this is an extremely annoying bug. Moreover since it happens even when Filemaker itself does not crash, but when you are disconnected from a remote database for some network reason--which in my experience happens all too often, I am very upset about this. When the licensing gets in the way of legitimate users then there is something really wrong.

I didn't know about this forum when I posted my own message about this bug. See <http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=4168#M4168

• 7. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                      tarena

I have been getting this bug response on my machine for days now.

What is a reasonable time?

Is there a bug fix yet?

• 8. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                        SimonN

I've been getting the same problem. It is NOT related to any crashes. I do NOT have FMP 10 registered on any other computers (though I do have FMP 9, using a different licence).

Whenever I open a remote database on my computer and start working on it I get the "The maximum number of users...etc" message. The problem does not occur if I open the database locally. 

This is a seriously annoying and limited bug! Please fix!!!

• 9. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                          TSGal

SimonN:

Thank you for your post.

How long are you working with it before the message appears?  How many users are accessing the remote database?  Is the remote machine FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server?  If the latter, is ODBC, Instant Web Publishing, Custom Web Publishing, ESS, etc. being used?  I'm just trying to get a better idea of the environment.

Has anybody encountered the problem with FileMaker Pro 11?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                            ChrisW76

Hi!

I just found a sure fire way to generate this bug on my machine.

Essentially I have a FileMaker file (FileA)  that contains a script with one script step: Open File ["FileB"]. Every single time this script was run I would get the error.

From examining the FileMaker Data Source window FileB was erroneously defined in as "fmnet:/192.168.246.06/FileB". This is more or less the correct address. I tried changing it to file:FileB instead and the error went away. Changing it back and the old "maximum number of users..." error returned and promptly quit me out of FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.

Cheers, Chris W.

• 11. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                              hschlossberg

I just got one that said the maximum number of licensed users are now using this copy.  This was after I closed the served file normally as a guest on my machine and then opened it back up as a guest again.  The crazy thing is that the conflicting user's IP was actually that of our web server, which doesn't even have FileMaker installed on it, and the user name was an account name that is strictly used as a web account, using FM's own PHP API.

• 12. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                                Neowarex

I am the administrator here and we have been using Filemaker 7 and the Server for several years. However, after skipping some of the versions we have finally decided to test version 11. I have seen quite a bit of improvements and will be the one reporting to my superiors whether to buy 15 licenses or not.

I was close to making the suggestion just when this issue has happened. I opened 3 remote files and needed to edit some things and copy some info around when Filemaker Pro 11 crashed (for the first time). Then when I reopened it, I could open 1 of the 3 files being hosted however whenever I wanted to open any other file the system would just give me this error:

The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of Filemaker Pro. Please refer to the License Key section of your software documentation for further instructions

License key conflict occurred with user "my own workstation"

All files will be closed and the application will quit.

I never had this issue with Filemaker 7 and was wondering if and when Filemaker will be fixing this very annoying bug. As mentioned above I lost quite a bit of editing and this is pretty annoying.

However, thank you for the great program and I hope the team can crate a solution soon.

• 13. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                                  mgoulet

Hi all

We are currently having this problem but with a new twist.

We host many FileMaker db .fp7 files on Apple Xserve boxes and as we upgrade the servers to FMSA 11, we are getting reports of users that can no longer login to their database because of this " licence conflict " problem. But the message is not stating that they are in conflict with themselves, but with " the name of the FMSA server " , a setting set with the FMSA admin console.

Anyone out there experimenting similar trouble ?

• 14. Re: Error:  ''The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.''
                                    TSGal

mgoulet:

Thank you for your post.

I have not heard of an instance of a license conflict with the name of the server.  I would definitely like to see your log file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - envelope icon just below the blue horizontal bar) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next