4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2009 8:55 PM by Ward

Escape does not cancel Find mode

Ward

Summary

Escape does not cancel Find mode

Description of the issue

On Mac OS X, my left hand automatically clicks the Escape key to cancel an action.  Most often, it's the equivalent of reaching for my mouse and clicking the Cancel button in a dialog.  Escape also affects an application action/mode like discarding a playlist selection in iTunes or exiting full screen playback in QuickTime Player or DVD Player. When a Find results in a "No records match" error dialog, Escape closes the dialog and exits/cancels Find mode. However, at the beginning of a Find, I must use my mouse to return to Browse mode (either clicking the Cancel Find button in the toolbar or selecting Browse from the popup menu in the bottom status bar). Clicking the Escape key does nothing at all. Since Escape is apparently a dead key at the beginning of Find mode, how about binding it to the Cancel Find action?  I say "action" because it should not have to depend on the state of the toolbar. -- Ward

• 1. Re: Escape does not cancel Find mode
          TSGal

Ward:

Thank you for your post.

The best place to enter this suggestion is into our feature suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

I know I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Escape does not cancel Find mode
            Ward

Although I have used the Feature Request form many times in the past, I came to the FileMaker Forum ["Provide FileMaker feedback or Report a bug"] forum because ...

1.  The forum allows discussion and clarification.
            2.  Other users can search for known problems and can join the discussion.
            3.  The Feature Request form has seemed like a black hole.

Once at the FileMaker Forum, I chose the "Report a bug" instead of "Provide feedback" because I consider this to be a usability bug that should be fixed, not a request for a new feature.

Since the Feature Request form and this Forum seem to be addressing the same need, I encourage the FileMaker Product Management consider merging the two.

It's time to get down from my soapbox and back to building FileMaker solutions for my clients.

-- Ward

• 3. Re: Escape does not cancel Find mode
              TSGal

Ward:

Thanks for the clarification.

1. Yes, the forum allows discussion and clarification.

2. Yes, users can search for known problems and join the discussion.

3. Yes, when a request is made into the feature request form, you do not receive any confirmation it was received.  I know it seems like a black hole, but I can attest that this information is being fed into a database that FileMaker Product Management and Development view on a daily basis.

After talking with members in Product Management and Development, your observation/problem is being viewed as a design issue; not a problem with the application.  That is why I suggested the feature request form.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Escape does not cancel Find mode
                Ward
                   I just copied this thread into the Feature Request form.

It reminded me of my frustration with this Request form, e.g. two 4-line scrolling text fields is not a user-friendly mechanism for discussing a serious issue.

Thanks, TSGal, for participating in this usability "feature" discussion and for contacting the product team.

-- Ward