2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2009 10:19 AM by TSGal

ESS connections accumulate

_ian

Summary

ESS connections accumulate

Description of the issue

FileMaker 10.0v1 on OS X using Actual ODBC driver connecting to MySQL 5.1.35. We have been getting messages indicating that we're exceeding the number of allowable connections on the Actual ODBC driver (5) when there were only 2 users connected through ODBC. It turns out that opening a new window and going to a different layout creates a new connection. Likewise Manage Database creates a new connection. So connections seem to be tied to each new window that has a different context plus managing databases. Now the problem is that when we close one of those windows it does not destroy the connection. Consequently the connections appear to accumulate until I quit that instance of FileMaker. Since quiting FileMaker destroys all connections it suggests that FileMaker is actively closing those connections when the application quits. In that case it would also make sense that FileMaker should also close connections tied to the window being closed.  cheersIan 

• 1. Re: ESS connections accumulate
          _ian

Just to add one further note to this. At the moment my computer shows as having 2 connections to MySQL even though I have closed the file that has the ESS references. To get rid of the connections my options are to Quit FileMaker entirely or to kill the connections through MySQL Admin.

Ian 

• 2. Re: ESS connections accumulate
            TSGal

_ian:

Thank you for your posts.

I have forwarded both posts to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  If any additional information becomes available, I'll let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.