Summary

Excel Import Not Stable

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS/X 10.7.2

Description of the issue

I have a simple Excel spreadsheet that fails to import. Although I found a way to work around this, I wanted to report this (bug) anyway since what I did to "fix" the import shouldn't be necessary.

In the spreadsheet as it was exported from another system, some of the columns do not fully display (however, the text field data is still all there). When I tried to import the spreadsheet, FMP got totally confused and basically showed me 1 character from each spreadsheet field and asked me to match it up to a field (in the Import dialog). The import behavior happens also if you just drag the Excel icon to FMP directly.

In desperation, I found that if I extended the columns in the spreadsheet to show all the text data, then the import worked OK.

Huh?

Not sure how File Maker Pro gets so confused.

I am currently evaluating FMP, but am a bit surprised by these bugs. As long as they're "known issues" and will be fixed, that's cool.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Have a spreadsheet that doesn't show the entire cell contents (columns in Excel only partially show the text).

Import.

(at least this is the only potential issue based on my workaround below)

Expected result

You'll see gibberish in Excel.

Note if the

Workaround

The workaround is to first expand the columns in Excel so all the text shows. Then the import runs.

• 1. Re: Excel Import Not Stable
          philmodjunk

Can't reproduce this in Windows XP. I create an Excel spread sheet with three columns of data and "Field 1", "Field 2", "Field 3" in the top row as column headers/field names.

I entered portions of nursery rhymes into the 1st, 2nd, 3rd columns of row two long enough that the text was more than would fit in the columns.

When I imported the data into Filemaker 11v3, they displayed correctly in the import dialog and imported correctly into the database.

This could be yet another Lion specific issue or it might be an issue with your excel file. You might try replicating my test on your system to see if you get the same problem or if it imports successfully.

• 2. Re: Excel Import Not Stable

Not sure why except possibly that this was exported from MySQL so perhaps something else is going on?

• 3. Re: Excel Import Not Stable
              philmodjunk

Well, that's why I suggested running this test on your system--to see if further investigation of the Excel file might reveal an issue...

• 4. Re: Excel Import Not Stable

It's an extremly simple spreadsheet. A few text columns, a few number columns and the timestamp column.

After I did experiment for a while, the only thing that made a difference was what I reported: resizing the columns.

The date format exported from MySQL was definitely not recognized by FMP. Once I changed the date format, then I could do the grouping report.

I appreciate all your terrific replies and suggestions. :)

Thanks,

-m

• 5. Re: Excel Import Not Stable
                  philmodjunk

It may be a very simple spreadsheet, but it's one created by an application other than Excel. My thought is to use Excel to create a similar spreadsheet with a row or two of manually entered data and then testing that file. That test can rule out the possibility that either the data or the file created by export from MYSQL is the source of the trouble...