Exiting Layout Mode partially fails

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro Advanced 12.0v1

Operating system version

OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

If you exit layout mode by entering find mode (Command+F) and then entering some search criteria, the keystrokes after Command+F are somehow processed before Layout Mode has been completely exited.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a new file in FileMaker Pro Advanced 12, with 1 table, 1 field and 1 layout. Add "a few" object" and make "a few" changes to the layout.
      Then quickly press Command + F and immediately thereafter, enter a couple of characters as search criteria.

I don't always get this issue, and I haven't been able to identify a minimum number of objects/changes, but we a you'll see from the screenshot, we are talking very low numbers - far below what you have in a real database.

Expected result

FileMaker Pro Advanced should completely exit layout mode before processing the subsequent keystrokes.

Actual result

If you are lucky, the menus will still be the Layout Mode menus, and the Inspector will display if it was displayed before, but the window and Status Toolbar will indicate Find Mode and your find criteria will be entered.

If you are less lucky, the issue will be much more serious. This is what happened when I got the bug while working on a real database, where the layout obviously was a lot more complex. I could still enter Manage database and use various menu items, but was unable to switch window mode or close the windows, so I had to force-quit FMPA and thus lost all the work I had done since my last backup (which was less than an hour old - I've had my share of FMPA crashes before so I backup my work a lot).

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

Be slow!

LayoutModeBug_2012-06-10_at_11.53.52_AM.png