Export Field Contents Loses File Suffix

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Windows 7 and 8.1

Description of the issue

This has been reported in the Known Bugs for WebDirect, but it also causes problems in FileMaker Pro.

Exporting Field Contents without specifying an output file displays the Export Field to File window with the file name displayed, but no suffix included.

Steps to reproduce the problem

As above, use Export Field to File within a script, but do not specify an output file, so the user can select a location. The file name is populated without a suffix and 'Save as type' is set to 'All Files'.

A variable can be used to specify a path and name the file correctly, but then the user loses control over the save location.

Expected result

As the container cannot be expected to understand the file type, the complete file name with suffix should be displayed.

Actual result

The problem with the above is that Windows users cannot double click the exported file to open it, most users never use the 'File:Open' option from within an application.

Workaround

Warning messages telling the user to add suffixes, predefined paths, but none to solve this satisfactorily.

• 1. Re: Export Field Contents Loses File Suffix
          TSGal

Andy Hibbs:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 on Windows 7.  I have four records that contain a JPG image file, a movie file, a PDF file, and a FileMaker file.  I created a button that executes the script step Export Field Contents with only specifying the Container target field.  When I execute the script for each record, the suffix is included (.jpg, .mov, .pdf and .fmp12).

The only time I get an extension not to show is if I change my Control Panel -> Appearance and Personalization -> Folder Options -> View settings, and check the option "Hide extensions for known file types".  Still, the file is saved without an extension showing, but the extension is saved.

Let me know what I'm doing differently so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Export Field Contents Loses File Suffix
            CraftICT

Hi

I believe I may owe you an apology. Our testing was with docx and xlsx files on a server that didn't have Office installed and we were relying on Wordpad to sub simple Word files. I've since checked using a PC with Office installed and, as you say, exported files are opening.

Please feel free to scratch this posting and sorry for (I believe) wasting your time.

Andy

• 3. Re: Export Field Contents Loses File Suffix
              TSGal

Andy Hibbs:

First of all, I'm glad everything is working properly for you.

No need for the apology.  The title of your original post is "Export Field Contents Loses File Suffix", and others may encounter the same issue.  My reply includes the Control Panel settings that others may find useful.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.