Export Problem

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 11

Operating system version

Windows 7 Home Premium

Description of the issue

FileMaker stops working when exporting.  I have used FileMaker 11 for a year now but am having a continuing intermittent export problem that I have had since Day 1.  I have it with all of my FileMaker databases so I believe that it's got to be a program problem rather than a problem with a specific database file.  I get the message:

"FileMaker has stopped working.  Windows is checking for a solution to the problem."  (FYI, I have Windows 7)

Then in a few seconds, I get the message:  "FileMaker has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly .  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." 

The only option I get is to close the program.  It does not matter what kind of file -- .csv, mer, whatever -- that I export. 

FileMaker opens the file again okay from scratch.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I go to "File", "Export", select a destination and file name and then click "Save".  The messages then pop up.

Expected result

An exported file.

Actual result

The "FileMaker has stopped working" message.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"FileMaker has stopped working.  Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." 

"FileMaker has stopped working.  A problem caused the program to stop working correctly .  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Configuration information

None that I know of.

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: Export Problem
          philmodjunk

Yet others who use the same version and OS are not reporting the same problem. Thus some investigation is needed to rule out other possible causes:

When you say that "I have it with all of my FileMaker databases" can you confirm that more than one of these files were not created initially as a copy of one of your existing files and you did not copy nor import items from one of your other files?" (If damage to the file is an issue, you may copy that problem along with the othe features/data you are copying or importing.)

It may be hard to be sure. You may need to create a small database file from scratch and see if it exhibits this crash behavior.

Have you run any utitilites to confirm that your computer and it's hardware are functioning normally. I don't have Windows 7 myself yet, but XP has the venerable "checkDisk" utility to run to check for issues. Have you tried checking your system out with such a utility?

Have you tried working with these files on another computer to see if that makes a difference? (And yes I fully understand that you may not have access to such a computer, but if you can, it can help confirm/rule out possible causes here.)

When you export your data, do you always export to the same director,y or always using the the same user account?