10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 7:54 PM by ladysings

Export problems with Bento 2.0

ladysings

Summary

Export problems with Bento 2.0

Description of the issue

I have tried every possible way to EXPORT from Bento 2.0 to excel or csv files and Bento won't allow me to have any extension except .numbers! When I try to import to other programs, it's not recognizing the exported files because they have the wrong extension and you can't change it. It continues to automatically add .numbers even though it says it's exporting a different type of file! HELP! This is useless if it doesn't do what it says.

• 1. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
          TSGal

ladysings:

Thank you for your post.

Bento exports to Numbers, Excel, and CSV/TSV files.  When you select Export from the File menu, a dialog box appears.  Along the top are four icons, with the default being "Numbers".  Click on "Excel" to save to an Excel file.  When you then save the file, it will have the correct extension.

If you continue to have difficulty, please let me know. 

In the future, please post your question to the Bento forum at forums.filemaker.com.  This is the FileMaker Pro/Server forum.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
            ladysings

Thank you for responding.

I am aware of the export options and I am choosing them. But, when I go to save the file... the proper extension does NOT come up. It always defaults to .numbers and when I try to change it... it won't let me. I've even uninstalled and re-installed the program thinking there was a bug somewhere. Still no luck. Now what?

I'm new to this forum thing - sorry about the wrong post location.

ladysings 

• 3. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
              TSGal

ladysings:

Thanks for the additional information.

When Bento launches, it reads a couple of Preference files.  If one of those preference files is corrupt, it may cause a problem.  If the preference file doesn't exist, then a new one is created.  Therefore, remove the following files, launch Bento and try exporting again:

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plist

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.bento.plugins.plist

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                ladysings

TSGal:

OK - what next? I deleted files, made sure trash was emptied, re-started program and it's still ONLY saving as .numbers.

Thank you for your continued help. Very frustrating.

ladysings 

• 5. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                  TSGal

ladysings:

I would like to see your bento.bentodb database file.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - "1 Message" ) with instructions where to send your file.  I will then export here and try to determine what is the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                    TSGal

ladysings:

I received your file, and I'm able to export from every Library (except Notes, because it contains zero records) to either Excel or CSV.  Here is my configuration and what I did to try and replicate the problem.

iMac running Mac OS X 10.5.7

Bento 2.0v4

1. I removed my bento.bentodb database file, and replaced it with your bento.bentodb database file.

2. I removed the preference files, since they were configured for my Libraries.

3. I launched Bento 2.0v4 and selected the first Library.

4. I pulled down the File menu and selected "Export...".  I clicked on the Excel icon, All records, All table view fields, and exported to the Desktop.  The file exported correctly.

5. I repeated the same steps except I clicked on the Text icon and selected "Comma separated (.csv) ".  The file exported correctly.

6. I repeated the same steps for three other Libraries.  I could not export Notes Library, since there were no records in the Library.

I have sent all resulting files to our Technical Support liaison, so you should receive those files shortly.  If you haven't received them by the end of the day, please let me know, and I'll make sure they are sent to you immediately.

I would recommend removing your Preference file(s) again, replacing the Bento 2.0v4 application, and saving the files to the Desktop.  Please continue to keep me updated.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                      ladysings

I have done everything you said and still defaults to .numbers all the time. I am on a MacBook Pro Leopard v 10.5.8.

I don't know what to do at this point.

ladysings 

• 8. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                        TSGal

ladysings:

I will update my system to OS X 10.5.8 and see if there is a difference.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                          TSGal

ladysings:

I updated to OS X 10.5.8, and all information exports properly.

I have just finished speaking with our Technical Support liaison, and he has been kind enough to post my Bento 2.0v4 application, your bento.bentodb database file, and my preference file.  An email should be on its way to you with instructions how to access these files.

If this doesn't work, then there is something in your system that is stopping you from exporting.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Export problems with Bento 2.0
                            ladysings

TSGal -

Thank you for your diligence in trying to solve this issue. I deleted EVERYTHING from my system and started from scratch with the files that your Tech Support guy sent to me, and it still does not export properly. I am at a total loss as to why. It WILL export to NUMBERS and then I can convert from there, but what a hassle! My MacBook Pro has run flawlessly since I purchased it and I've never had an issue like this with any program before, but obviously there's something in my system that's not allowing this. I just don't know what. It will probably forever remain a mystery. It's just a huge disappointment to purchase a program like Bento and not have it fulfill my business needs.

if you have any other suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, looks like there isn't a solution.

Regards,

ladysings