10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2010 3:03 PM by chadlawie

Export records problem

suyoung_1

Summary

Export records problem

Description of the issue

Hello,  I've been using Filemaker Pro v9.0v3 and testing v10 for my work. There was a problem in exporting records in excel or tab file. The exported file has much more records than the layout from which the file is exported. Only the records with missing fields are multiplicated. Fortunately the problem is partially corrected in v10. Export in xslx format does not make any problem. However, export in tab file  produces the same mistakes. When I export records into xslx file, FILE-EXPORT RECORDS menu produces the same problem and FILE-SAVE/SEND RECORDS AS menu do not. Isn't it interesting? Whether the DB is in local machine or in server doesn't make any difference. The db file has 243430 records and created new layout using two tables prior to file  export. OS: MacOS X Leopard, MacOS X Leopard Server Do you guys have any suggestion? Thanks. Su Young. 

• 1. Re: Export records problem
          TSGal

suyoung:

Thank you for your post.

I have one table with over 8,000,000 records.  I saved as tab-delimited and Excel xlsx (under File -> Export Records...) and also Excel xlsx under File -> Save/Send Records As -> Excel.  No information was missing.

This was done on Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Is it possible to retrieve your file from a server?  If so, please send a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with the information.  We would like to try and duplicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Export records problem
            suyoung_1

Hello TSGal:

Sorry, I don't see any menu enabling me to send a private message to you.

If you are working with a single table, it does NOT produce the problem that I mentioned.

I fetch the DB from the server and am trying to make minumum size of the DB with the same problem. I will send it to you if you want to try.  

Thanks. 

• 3. Re: Export records problem
              TSGal

suyoung:

I just sent you a private message.  If you look at the top of this page, on the right side, it should say "1 Message" just below the blue horizontal line.  Click on that, and you will see the message.  It gives directions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Export records problem
                chadlawie

I'm having the same issue.

1 record in filemaker produces 96 row in excel.

• 5. Re: Export records problem
                  TSGal

chad lawie:

Thank you for your post.

I would like to see your database file so I can try to duplicate it here.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Export records problem
                    TSGal

chad lawie:

Thank you for your post.

Your file is actually a relationship into a second file, and the relationship has multiple entries for each of the records, so the export will display each of the related records.  You may want to consider removing the duplicate records in the related file prior to exporting.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: Export records problem
                      chadlawie

I thought about that too.

Did you test that theory?

When I removed duplicate records filemaker still exported about 60 rows to excel.

• 8. Re: Export records problem
                        chadlawie
                           I'm also not sure why this worked so well in the past under the same conditions. The main difference now is that I am trying to export an html text line... when before I used this same database to export file paths or prices.
                        • 9. Re: Export records problem
                          TSGal

chad lawie:

When I removed the duplicates except for one record, the export file had four records.  For the first code, there were 60+ multiples, while the remaining three had 90+ multiples.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Export records problem
                            chadlawie

Regardless of the number of duplicate records in a related database... shouldn't the current open database with only 1 record, export only one record? Exspecially when I am exporting "records being browsed"

All the same, I downloaded a trial version of FM 10 - exporting to CSV still didn't work, but "save/send records as ...excel" took care of my problem.