Summary

Export Secure Filemaker, Excel, or other format except PDF

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac os

Description of the issue

I can not seem to find a way to export/import a secure filemaker or excel file from the export script. Is there a way to export a secure file?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Trying to export sensitive data and then reimport it into a different filemaker database, without people being able to see the data. I can not seem to find a way to do that.

I guess it would be possible to use Filemaker as the program that is the go between, but it would be more convenient for a few of the people who need the file if it was an excel file.

Expected result

Export secure file.

Actual result

Export unsecured File.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Configuration information

N/A

Workaround

Can export unsecured data, but that does prevents me from having my data secure.

• 1. Re: Export Secure Filemaker, Excel, or other format except PDF
          philmodjunk

What I am describing here is something of a Kludge, but requires only FileMaker Pro Advanced to pull off.

You Might be able to set up a clone FileMaker file (no records) with an import records script in it. You could then pull up the records you want to export and then, from your main file, perform the import script in the clone file to import the found set of records you have just pulled up into the clone. Since this is a fileMaker file it can be password protected. FileMaker can even make copies of such a clone file (to keep a clone on hand for the next export) by inserting the File into a container field and then using export Field contents to make copies of it. This "file shuffle" can be pulled off only if you do it in just the right sequence but a single script can step through the entire process, including sending an email with the fileMaker file attached.

If your clone file is "bound" to a runtime solution (this is the part that requires FileMaker advanced), your recipients need only have the Runtime package on their system. They take the file you email to them and drop it into the run time folder to replace the copy already in the folder, then launch the runtime to open the file so that a script in the runtime can export the excel file if that is the file format that they need.