3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2013 9:53 PM by Fred(CH)

Export Streaming Video and Play on iOS

JohnDuncan

Summary

Export Streaming Video and Play on iOS

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Operating system version

iOS 6.1.3

Description of the issue

I imported an mpeg video to a container field on a Mac using the Insert Audio/Video script step.  The video plays fine on Mac.  Knowing that I have to export the video file to play it on iOS I did a script step:

Export Field Contents [ container; $path; Automatically Open ]

$path is the path to the temporary folder / the name of the file.  The export seems to work but then it shows an error:

Failed to open "http://fmserverIP:16000/Streaming/MaindDB/FM-59861657-16B6-4C30-B58-C5959B8059.mpeg

It appears that the "Automatically Open" is referencing back to the server to try to play it instead of trying to open the exported file.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Import a video into an interactive container.  Export it to the temporary folder on iOS with the "Automatically Open" option specified.

Expected result

It should play the video downloaded to the iOS device

Actual result

It opens a URL back to the FM Server

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Failed to open "http://fmserverIP:16000/Streaming/MaindDB/FM-59861657-16B6-4C30-B58-C5959B8059.mpeg

Configuration information

MacOS-X 10.8.4

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Export Streaming Video and Play on iOS
          philmodjunk

Seems possiblyl related to this reported and confirmed issue:     Contents streaming to internet is impossible over IWP

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 2. Re: Export Streaming Video and Play on iOS
            TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

First, to clear up any confusion, if the Container field is set for Interactive, you don't have to export the file.  That is, you can tap on the movie file in the Container field and then tap "Play". 

Also for clarification, temporary files under iOS will remain hidden on an iOS device for three days, unlike FileMaker Pro where the temporary files are removed when you quit the application.  For more information, see Knowledge Base Article #10246 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10246

I don't have any .mpeg files, but all six of my .mpg files do not play under iOS, as this is an unsupported format under iOS.  The only other movie files I have are .mp4,mpv and mov, and they all play under iOS, and hence, also under FileMaker Go.

Currently, I don't have access to FileMaker Server, so all of my testing was performed with FileMaker Go accessing a hosted file under FileMaker Pro.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Export Streaming Video and Play on iOS
              Fred(CH)

Hi,

As stated by TSGal, my own tests confirm that the unsupported format is the cause of this issue.

I had on my server a container-test database with numerous different formats. I received exactly the same error message than John when i tested an mpeg video. 

This message was returned when i ran a similar script that attempt to export and open the file AND when i tapped the movie file tapped Play.

But also, in same conditions, all these formats worked without any problem : MOV ; M4V ; MP4.

I also tested the three different storage option : Standard, External (open) and External (secure) but it didn't change anything to theses results...

Bye, Fred