2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2012 1:09 PM by caryn

Export to Filemaker does not work. Opening of xls file also does not work on Win7 PC

caryn

Summary

Export to Filemaker does not work. Opening of xls file also does not work on Win7 PC

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11v3

Operating system version

Win7

Description of the issue

When I try doing an export to Filemaker, the dialogue for selecting fields never opens, and then nothing happens. It does not work on the Win7 PC. It does work on other operating systems. In addition if you try to open an Excel file to convert it to FM, you get the message, "This command cannot be used by this version of Filemaker."  I have tested the export problem on multiple Win 7 PCs, so it is not just my installation.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I tried to export records from the same database on 3 different PCs running Win7, using FM11 v3.

Expected result

The export dialogue should work.  Also, importing an Excel file into FM 11 should also work.

Actual result

Export field dialogue does not appear.  No export occurs. When opeing Excel, you get the error message.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

When trying to import from Excel, "This command cannot be used by this version of Filemaker."

Workaround

Yes running Filemaker on XP.

• 1. Re: Export to Filemaker does not work. Opening of xls file also does not work on Win7 PC
          user15307

Caryn,

On Windows 7, using a FileMaker Pro 11.0 v3 file, I am able to export to "Excel 95-2004 Workbooks (*.xls)".  What I am doing is:

1.  opening a file containing three records,

2.  pulling down the File menu and selecting Export Records,

3.  in the "Save as type" drop down, select: Excel 95-2004 Workbooks (*.xls),

4.  name the file and click "Save",

4.  bypass the "Excel Options" by clicking on "continue",

5.  follow prompts to select fields to export.

Since you aren't able to export records from your database, please let me know what you are doing differently.  Can provide more details on what you are doing to "convert" the Excel file to FileMaker?  It would be easier to help you if I can replicate the issue you are encountering.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Export to Filemaker does not work. Opening of xls file also does not work on Win7 PC
            caryn

I just got help with this.  Apparently, FM11 had been installed with a setting that prevented adding any databases.  We re-installed the program with complete access and that solved the problem.