Exported excel

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4

Operating system version

mac os   10.6.4

Description of the issue

When  I export95  excel .xls    I get strange action in Excel  14.1.3  that I do get in FMP 7.
      I recently upgraded.
      when I change   =[Age.xls]Sheet1!$A$1   to    =[Age.xls]Sheet1!$A1   (so I can do a fill down)
      my exiting SS (works OK with FMP9 exports)  no longer recognizes the file I just exported.
      The  =[Age.xls]Sheet1!$A$1   worked OK.

Thanks

ps  Separate issue  ----> Is there an update coming, I get quite a few automatic quits, with a report sent to you.   Seems to be NO pattern to the failures.

Steps to reproduce the problem

export95  excel .xls       Have another SS that refers to the exported one

Expected result

ability to do a 'fill down'

Actual result

not a formula or loses cotact with exported  .xls  file

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

no error msg

Workaround

laborious copy/paste

• 1. Re: Exported excel
          TSGal

Lee-ymail Ransick:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

The latest version of Microsoft Excel I have access to is 12.3.1, and I'm unable to replicate the problem.  Therefore, I would like to see your database file and resulting .xls file so I can determine why the export is failing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Exported excel
            philmodjunk

On that separate issue: I get quite a few automatic quits, with a report sent to you. Seems to be NO pattern to the failures.

It may not be separate as it could indicate that your file is damaged and the behavior of a damaged file is unpredictable.

Basic diagnostic tests to perform when you get frequent crashes or “Hangs”:

Does the crash only occur with a specific file?
            Test by creating a small sample file and see if opening it and working with it also generates a crash. If it crashes too, the problem likely lies with the computer or it's installation of FileMaker. If it does not crash, it becomes more likely that there is a problem with the file.

What is reported when you recover the file?
            The file could be damaged.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
            2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

Does it always crash when you are doing the same thing with your file?
            That may point to a specific layout, script, operation that interacts with your Operating system or other applications...

• 3. Re: Exported excel
              TSGal

Lee-ymail Ransick:

I received your files.  Thank you.

In the Workbook1.xls, at first I saw references to a column without any data (column "C"), and changed them to column "B".  I also had the same problem.  However, if I entered the same calculation starting in row 10, I did not have the problem.  I then created a new file (Workbook2.xls) with the same calculations, and it worked properly.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Exported excel
                leer

Hi    sorry about that B  C   confussion     my fault

I still have the problem    (even in col 10)

it woks fine in col 10    BUT   I still can not do a 'fill down'    when I remove the $     from   

<!--StartFragment--> <!--EndFragment-->
                ='[fromFMP9_95-2004.xls]Sheet1'!$B$10
                • 5. Re: Exported excel
                  leer

it woks fine in col 10    BUT   I still can not do a 'fill down'    when I remove the $     from after the B   

ie:      ='[fromFMP9_95-2004.xls]Sheet!'$B10     it is no longer considered to be a formula ????????

I entered the original formula by   typing a   =   and then clicking on the other SS   

• 6. Re: Exported excel
                    leer

it woks fine in col 10    BUT   I still can not do a 'fill down'    when I remove the $     from after the B   

ie:      ='[fromFMP9_95-2004.xls]Sheet!'$B10     it is no longer considered to be a formula ????????

I entered the original formula by   typing a   =   and then clicking on the other SS   

• 7. Re: Exported excel
                      leer

Hey   it works     IF   I type in the formula ! ! ! !       I always just changed the cell contents   in FMP7