5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 12:33 PM by comment_1

Exporting Tab Files

leenalures

Summary

Exporting Tab Files

Description of the issue

Within the last two-three weeks, Filemaker quit making TAB files with my data so I can't export to another application... Why would that be?

• 1. Re: Exporting Tab Files
          philmodjunk

Filemaker doesn't make tab files all on its own. Apparently you have a script that does this. You'll need to examine that script for a clue as why it's not working.

Also:

How to report product issues to FileMaker

• 2. Re: Exporting Tab Files
            leenalures
               That doesn't make sense.  All I am doing (exactly what I have done in the past) is export the file as a Tab extention and it crashes the program.  I am not running any scripts.  Just hitting Export, name the file, hit return and then it says it has to close down.
            • 3. Re: Exporting Tab Files
              philmodjunk

Thanks for the additional information.

You may have a damaged filed (You might have other issues, also)

Try recovering the file and then export from the recovered file. If that works, your file is damaged and you should replace your file with an undamaged back up if you have one.

• 4. Re: Exporting Tab Files
                WoodApple

Perhaps there is a tab or other char in your data that is screwing this up. You may try to export as something else (like .csv or .xls) and scan the data for an error. (tab is normally set to advance to the next field on a layout but does not have to be, if it is not a 'tab' can be entered into a field and can always be imported. Either can throw off the export in tab format) If you are able, just look at the records that have been modified since the last good export, I think you will find the problem.

EDIT: Carriage Returns in the data may also cause problems.

• 5. Re: Exporting Tab Files
                  comment_1

WoodApple wrote:
                  Perhaps there is a tab or other char in your data that is screwing this up.

Carriage Returns in the data may also cause problems.

Neither tabs nor carriage returns will prevent exporting data as tab-separated: tabs will be converted to spaces, and carriage returns to vertical tabs.