12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 3:30 PM by philmodjunk

exporting to excel get error message

garrisjr

Summary

exporting to excel get error message

Description of the issue

I'm using an HP desktop computer with windows XP.  Using FileMakwer Pro9.0v3. When I try to export data to excel I get the following message.  "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occuried in the application at location 0x78138aa0, click ok to terminate the program, click cancel to debug".  No matter which one I click the program shuts down.  It does not debug.  My procedure is: I found and sort the data I want, go to export records, type in file name, saving as a .csv type file, hit save and bam the error message above comes up and the program shuts down.Can you help me? Thanks,Jim

• 1. Re: exporting to excel get error message
          raybaudi

Hi

what happens if you save records as Excel ? ( File >> Save/Send Records As >> Excel... )

• 2. Re: exporting to excel get error message
            garrisjr

If I save as excel that worked ok, but I get all the fields in the layout.  I want to select curtain fields only to export.  Do you have another thought?

Thanks,

Jim

• 3. Re: exporting to excel get error message
              raybaudi

garrisjr wrote:

...hit save and bam ...

The "Specify Field Order for Export" window comes after your bam ...

How do you know that that window exists ?

• 4. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                garrisjr

I was able to export, now I get the exception error above.  After selecting export report, file name, it asks what fields you want to export, but I am getting the error message and it shuts down.

• 5. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                  philmodjunk

Do you get this error just with a specific file or any file?

If it's just a specific file, you may have a damaged file.

Test a recovered copy of the file and see if you get the same error result.

Note: Don't use the recovered file except for testing purposes. Instead, replace it with an undamaged file if at all possible if the recover process fixes the problem.

• 6. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                    garrisjr

It may be happening to just one file.  I only have two I use, the one I use the most is the one I get the error with.  How can I find out if the file is damaged or replace a damaged file?

Thanks,

JIm

• 7. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                      philmodjunk

Open filemaker without opening the file.

Select Recover from the file menu and follow the instructions.

Even if the recover process reports that no problems were found, test the recovered file to see if it has the same problem. If recovering the file fixes it, replace your file with an undamaged back up if at all possible.

(If recover corrects the problem but it reports no problems found, you may have a corrupted index on one or more fields, you may be able to repair your original file by re-indexing one or more fields or saving a clone of your file and importing all the data from your current file into the clone.)

• 8. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                        garrisjr
                           I finally had a chance to do as suggested, opening the file by the recover under file pull down.  I have opened the file and exported data several time.  The file seems to be working properly now.  Thanks for all your help. 

Jim

• 9. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                          skn

Hi ,

I am encountering the same problem when trying to export certain fields, I get the error "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x78138aa0. I was reading your post on fixing the problem by testing a recovery copy, I think that fixed the problem, but how do I replace the file with an undamaged backup, because you say that you shouldn't use the recovery file except for testing purposes?

Thanks

• 10. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                            philmodjunk
                               That advice assumes that you periodically archive a copy of the file somewhere on your system. Then, when a file is discovered to be damaged. You open progressively older backups until you find one that is not damaged. Take that file and use it to replace your damaged copy. You will either need to save a clone of your backup and import all records from all tables in your damaged file into the back up if your damaged copy contains data or changes that you need.
                            • 11. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                              skn
                                 Thanks, thats what I ended up doing I used an earlier file that wasn't damaged, in the future I will start saving more periodically.  Is there a way to prevent this from happening....and what happens if I use the recovered file as just my normal file?
                              • 12. Re: exporting to excel get error message
                                philmodjunk

"and what happens if I use the recovered file as just my normal file?"

Maybe nothing. It may work perfectly fine. On the other hand it may not. The recover process may make changes to your file in order to "fix" it and you can't tell (even from the recover log) what all those changes might be. Given the complexity of many DB's yours may work flawlessly for months and then you trigger a seldom used script or switch to a seldom used layout only to discover that a rarely used but important part of your database is missing.

Thus, it's safer to use an undamaged back up whenever possible.