Summary

External resource not linking

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows XP

Description of the issue

The external resource information sometimes will not link to the main database.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have to close out completely then open up the main database then the information from the external resource will show up.

Expected result

That I don't have to be having to close and open the main database as I am usually the host and the staff are the clients which means I have to ask them to close the database before I can close mine.

• 1. Re: External resource not linking
          philmodjunk

My systems have numerous external data source references and we've never had to restart in order to restore the connection to one of them.

Where are the external data sources located? If they are on a system external to yours, is the connection to them reliable?

Have you checked your file for corruption? (Run a recover and see if any problems are found. Test the recovered copy and see if it has the same issue.) Best practice is to never put a recovered file into use but to replace it with an undamaged backup if you determine your file has been damaged.

Another "Best practice" bit of advice would be to not use your copy of FileMaker as the Host but to set up a dedicated machine with Filemaker or Filemaker Server installed on it for use as the host.