Extra Blank Page Printing

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.9.4

Description of the issue

I have a single page layout, it always prints a second blank page. My layout size is 8.417 x 10.40. The field closest to the bottom is set to slide up based on "Only objects directly above". There is a container field in the upper right, position is 8.25, so it shouldn't an issue.
      How can I fix this?

TIA
      Lee

• 1. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
          TSGal

Lee Warren:

Thank you for your post.

Does Preview display one or two pages (second page being blank)?  If two pages, then your layout is slightly more than one page.  Reduce the size of the layout until Preview mode shows one page.

If you know the information is going to slide up, then make sure you also check the option to also slide up the enclosing part.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
            lwarrensgs

TSGal,

Thanks for your reply.

My layout/document size is 8.417 x 10.769.  I also checked the option to "resize enclosing part" for the field nearest the bottom. I haven't used FM Pro in 3-4 years (even then I was a novice user), but don't remember having this issue before. Screenshot of layout attached.

Lee

• 3. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
              philmodjunk

I'd drag the bottom edge of the body up as high as it will go to see if that makes any difference. All you need is one extra pixel more than the printer can fit on a single page (and many printers cannot fit a height of 10.769 on an 11" page as most can't print "edge to edge" on the page.

• 4. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                lwarrensgs

Phil,

As visible in the screenshot from the previous message, I've pulled the layout as far up as I can go without removing fields.

Lee

• 5. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                  RickWhitelaw

In Page Setup select "Format For" and select your printer. Then go to preview mode and see how many pages display. Seems almost certain to me that you've exceeded the printable area supported by your particular printer.

• 6. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                    lwarrensgs

Rick,

I have the margins set for .25" on sides/top, .375" for the bottom. I'm not sure what the printers default margins are. 

Lee

• 7. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                      philmodjunk

As visible in the screenshot from the previous message, I've pulled the layout as far up as I can go without removing fields.

This is not visible. There appears to be empty white space between the bottom  of the lowest object on your layout and the edge of the body. There may be something there I can't see in the layout, but one way or another, you should try reducing the size of the layout body.

I suggest copying your layout and modifying the copy's design by moving items up and reducing their height until a preview shows only a single page per record.

Then you'll have a clearer idea how much needs to change before you get it all on one page.

Note that many printers can't print closer that about a half inch from the bottom edge of the page give or take a tenth of an inch.

• 8. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing

Lee Warren:

Thank you for the post. 

The screenshot provided shows a dashed vertical line on the right-side. That vertical line is the left to right page break for the current print setup.

What happens if you move the right boundary of the layout to the left and the "PPI Logo" object to the left until the dashed line is no longer visible?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                          lwarrensgs

Falcon, 

Tried you suggestion but result was same. PhilModJunk suggested "copying your layout and modifying the copy's design by moving items up and reducing their height until a preview shows only a single page per record."

So I created new layout, did a copy/paste of all fields & it worked! I can continue with my project now.

Thanks to you, PhilModJunk, TSGal, & Rick Whitelaw  for your help!

Lee

• 10. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                            philmodjunk

So I created new layout, did a copy/paste of all fields & it worked! I can continue with my project now.

That was doing it the hard way!

Glad it worked, but what I was suggesting was to enter layout mode and select Duplicate Layout from the layout menu. This was so you could make adjustments to the design of your layout while preserving the original for reference.

• 11. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                              lwarrensgs

Was afraid if I duped the layout it would keep whatever was causing the 2nd blank page, but anyways it's all good

• 12. Re: Extra Blank Page Printing
                                philmodjunk

It's possible that would have happened, but I still was looking at the need to reduce the size of the layout slightly.