Summary

Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Macintosh OS X 10.7

Description of the issue

When viewing a list in Browse Mode, sometimes I get an empty space between the Header and the first Leading Sub-Summary when the Body Part is not present.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Can't exactly say. It doesn't happen all the time, even within one Layout. As an example:

I have a Layout with multiple Sub-Summaries (one Leading, many Trailing -- the one leading part is a duplicate of one of the trailing parts, i.e. same sort) and no Body Part.

This Layout has 2 checkboxes with OnModify Script Triggers that re-sort the list in order to show/hide some of the Parts. In one particular sort, the blank space appears.

I have another Layout which demonstrates the same behavior, but with only one (Trailing) Sub-Summary.

As far as I can tell, the only common thread is that none of the Layouts which demonstrate the behavior have a Body Part. (Each Layout's blank space is a different size.)

This behavior was not present in v11. I have also rebuilt one of the Layouts in question from scratch (no elements copied/pasted from the original affected Layout) and the same issue occurs.

Expected result

The first Sub-Summary Part appears immediately beneath the Header Part

Actual result

There is a blank space between the Header Part and the first Sub-Summary Part.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

FMP 12.0.1, FMPA 12.0.1
      Mac OS X 10.7.3

Workaround

None yet.

BlankSpaces.jpg

• 1. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
          TSGal

Matthew Dahlquist:

Thank you for your post.

Are there any blank records that would appear in the first sub-summary part?

It would probably be easier if you just sent in the file so I can determine why there is such a large space between the header and the first sub-summary part.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
            flutegirl

I have also encountered this issue, and found a workaround - of sorts.

I only find this happening in layouts where all subsummary parts are set up to display beneath the related records - if I edit the subsummary definition and select "Print Above", the layout now displays properly.

I have only tested this on one database so far, but checking a second database where some layouts displayed this bug and some did not seemed to prove this out.

• 3. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
              fciadmin

A glimmer of hope (for at least one of my layouts) and perhaps a clue...?

In the first layout pictured above, I can't implement this work-around because I have 2 appearances of the same sort field Sub-Summary Part. FMP doesn't allow summarizing by the same field twice unless one is Print Above and the other Print Below.

In the second layout, there is only one Sub-Summary part, so I can put it Above or Below the (not present) Body Part. Originally it was Below. When I change it to Above, the blank space goes away!! Change it back to Below and the blank space returns.

Thanks for the tip. Hopefully this helps the engineers toward a possible solution for layouts with Below Sub-Sumarries, or a mix of both Above and Below.

• 4. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                philmodjunk

Hmmm, for the layout with two sub summary parts based on the same field, what if you put back the body layout part, but only as a one pixel high layout part? This won't be an acceptable work around, but if it works, it helps document the issue here...

• 5. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                  TSGal

Matthew Dahlquist and Flutegirl:

I've been setting up multiple sub-summary layouts (some converting over from FileMaker Pro 11, others creating from FileMaker Pro 12 from scratch), and I'm still unable to replicate the problem.  Is it possible you could send me a clone of the file?  Also, is the spacing relevant to the number of records you have in the file (I've tested with 50 records)?

Flutegirl - Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send a clone of your file.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                    fciadmin

TSGal,

I emailed a clone around 4:15 PM CDT on 4/16 (to: forumsupport@filemaker.com, subject: TSGal - report spacing) with enough sample data to reproduce the issue. Let me know if I should try to re-send the email, or get the clone to you via a different method.

Also in that email is some info about our fully populated database and the lack of correlation between number of found records and size of blank space...

RecordsBlank Pixel Height

One thing I neglected to note in that email: The layout created from scratch that is mentioned in my initial report is included in the clone (LOG_job_status__TEST)

• 7. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                      TSGal

Matthew Dahlquist:

Sorry for the mix up on our end.  The file has been received and delivered.

I am able to see the blank space, but I'll need to look at each of the Sub-Summary parts to better understand why the blank space is appearing.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                        TSGal

Flutegirl:

I received your file.  Thank you.

The problem is easily reproducible, and the only thing I notice is that the background becomes Brown when you change the Sub-Summary to Print Above.

I have sent both your file and "Matthew Dahlquist" file to our Development and Testing departments for a complete review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                          fciadmin

I don't know if this helps or not...

Just downloaded FileMaker Go 12 for iPhone and connected to the database on my FMS 12 server. It, too shows the blank space.

What might be the most interesting about this (at least to me, who doesn't know a ton about Go) is that the blank space shows the linen background, not the white or shades of gray used by any of the Layout's Parts.

• 10. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                            philmodjunk

This appears reproducible in both Mac and Windows systems.

My test:

In Windows XP, I created a brandnew file with 5 records with a category field (text) a value field (number) and a "total of" summary field.

I changed the layout theme to classic.

I then double clicked the body layout part and changed it to a sub summary part when sorted by Category.

I selected the Print below option.

I then returned to browse mode and sorted my records by category. This produced the result shown in the upper screen shot:

Returning to part set up and switching the sub summary part to Print Above produces the result in the lower screen shot.

In both cases, the layout appears to preview correctly, the grey band is only visible when in browse mode and there is no gap between the header and first sub summary part for the "Print below" version.

• 11. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                              TSGal

Matthew Dahlquist and PhilModJunk:

I am able to replicate the issue, and it appears the same way in FileMaker Go.

Testing has verified the issue and has now forwarded the information to Development for review.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts

TSGal:

I can confirm that the issue appears also with a | Header | Body | Footer | Layout-Setup.

(no subsummary-parts at all!)

I have a self related record in a list-view to have only 1 record shown. So far the only trick I'ld know to have kind of a "form-view" with Header- and Footer-Part fix and Body-Part to be scrolled. 

There's a blank space between the Body- and the Footer-Part.

• 13. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                                  TulgaErarslan

Is there any progress to solve this issue? I have four layouts with Header and Sub-Summary and all showing that blank space. In preview mode all good, but in browse mode I get the blank space back. (Using Windows 7)

Tulga

• 14. Re: Extra Blank Space at top of List View with Sub-Summary Parts
                                    KristineM

i have had ongoing problems with huge blank spaces printing on docs until i found that the smaller you have the left hand grey bar on the body section, the less space prints on documents. Hope this helps some :)

1 2 Previous Next