Extra spacing when typing in a field

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13v3

Operating system version

Window 7

Description of the issue

User types in a textfield and as they type the cursor gets farther away from the text

Steps to reproduce the problem

Type in a text field

image001.png

• 1. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
          philmodjunk

Open the Windows Display Control Panel. Is it set to 100% or some other percentage? If it's not set at 100%, set it to 100% and see if this makes a difference.

• 2. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
            jrobbins

The zoom level doesn't make a difference.

• 3. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
              TSGal

Jeremie Robbins:

Thank you for your posts.

Does this only occur with this one file?  That is, if you create a new file, do you get the same issue?

Do you have any plug-ins enabled?  If so, temporarily disable them and try again.

If you have access to another machine, can you see if this file works correctly on the other machine?

Continue to keep us updated with any progress.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                jrobbins

The file is hosted on the server and multiple users have complained about this issue.  I have not tried it in a new file.  There are no plugins.  If it turns out to be the file I will let everyone know that they will have to deal with it.  This is the main database that we are using and it is about 1.5 GB.

• 5. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                  TSGal

Jeremie Robbins:

It may or may not be the file.

Does everyone have the same issue with the file?  Or, is it just some users?

Does this occur with every layout or one particular layout?  It may be just a bad layout.

If you create another layout with the same fields (do not duplicate the layout), does the issue also occur?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                    philmodjunk

The zoom level doesn't make a difference.

Just to clarify, I am not referring to the zoom level that you can set in the lower left corner of a Filemaker Window. I am referring to a Windows OS display setting that you specify in  the Display control panel. Others have reported a similar issue when the display percentage shown in that control panel is not set to 100%.

• 7. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                      manleylabs

I am having the same problem which is why I came here to find out if more people are having this issue also, and they sure are!

FM Pro Advanced 13.0v3

same ol' database we have been using for years. Nothing changed in that.

This issue just recently came up, probably with the last update. As soon as you start typing, the cursor moves further away from the text to the right making you think you have an extra trailing space. Cursor location is messed up!

No, I do not want to set my Windows magnification to 100%. 125% is the Windows Default setting!

What did you break, Filemaker? Please fix it!

• 8. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                        AndyAronson

Was there ever a solution to this? I just updated our server and client software to V13.0v9. All of a sudden I am having this problem in one particular field. It is a file I've been using for many years without a problem. My two colleagues are not having the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this?

Thanks very much.

Andy Aronson

• 9. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                          TSGal

Andy Aronson:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, you need to set the Windows display to 100%.  Values above 100% (125%, 150%) will result in the graphic issues reported.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                            AndyAronson

TSGal,
                            What are you guys doing to fix this problem? It has been known for a long time and I don't think users should have to modify their whole screen as a workaround. Everything is now too small on my screen.
                            Thanks.

Andy

• 11. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                              TSGal

Andy Aronson:

The issue has been sent to Development.  At that point, it is categorized and prioritized.

FileMaker neither discusses nor speculates about future releases.

The only workaround is to set the FileMaker window to 150% zoom.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                                LisaTaylor

We are having the same problem with extra space while typing.  We have had Filemaker Pro for probably 20 or more years and haven't had any issue until now.  This problem is very irritating and slows down our working progress.  Increasing the zoom to 150% doesn't help, it actually makes it worse.  The only way to make it work properly is to decrease the zoom to 75%, but then you can not read anything.  Another problem we just starting having is when you use Ctrl V to copy a previously typed word or sentence it makes extra boxes & makes everything out of line.  Please resolve these issues as soon as possible.

Thank you,

• 13. Re: Extra spacing when typing in a field
                                  TSGal

Lisa Taylor:

Is your Windows screen display set to 100%?  If not, this is what is causing the spacing issue.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.