Summary

F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Many keystroke/modifier key combinations do not trip either OnLayoutKeystroke or OnObjectKeystroke when pressed, because an OS or FileMaker function intercepts the keydowns and the trigger is never tripped. But the F2 key will trip the trigger and Exit Script [False] can be used to suppress its assigned FileMaker function even though all other F keys fail to trip the trigger.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create this script:
      Show Custom Dialog [ Code ( Get ( TriggerKeystroke ) ) ]
      Set up the OnLayoutKeystroke trigger to perform it and then press each F key in turn. Note that F2 pops up the custom dialog and also deploys the layout menu.

Then modify the script to include a second line:
      Exit Script [ False ]
      And note that now pressing F2 shows the dialog without deploying the layout drop down.

Expected result

Either all F keys would fail to trip the trigger or that all would show the behavior seen with F2 (which would be MUCH preferrred.) (or at least that all F keys with application functions would show this behavoir.)

Actual result

F2 trips the trigger and can be suppressed. None of the other F keys do.

• 2. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the post.

The operating system's keyboard shortcuts will take precedent over FileMaker Pro. 

This is true for both Mac OS X and Windows. I may need some of your Windows expertise in this case though because on Mac OS X, I am able to disable or modify the OS shortcut commands for the "F" keys.

> System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard > Uncheck "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys

According to Answer ID: 11359, FileMaker Pro keyboard shortcuts may not work as expected when using Mac OS X:

"If a Mac OS X keyboard shortcut conflicts with a FileMaker Pro shortcut, the following symptoms may be experienced:

•           The keyboard shortcut in FileMaker Pro will not work at all
          •      
          •           The keyboard shortcut in FileMaker Pro will perform an unexpected action
          •      
          •           The keyboard shortcut equivalent will not display properly in the menus in FileMaker Pro"

While the keyboard shortcuts in FileMaker Pro cannot be changed, the ones used by Mac OS X can be and to workaround the issue on Mac OS X, you may disable the shortcuts for the operating system.

My question for you: 

Do you know of a way to disable the "F" keyboard shortcuts within the Windows operating system? 

Even assuming a method to disable the shortcuts within the Windows operating system and other Microsoft software, I would have to test whether FileMaker would then pick up the keystrokes; however, I am quite sure FileMaker can not do anything if those keys are reserved by the Windows operating system or other Microsoft programs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/126449

F1: Starts Windows Help

F2: Rename object

F3: Find all files

F4: IE Toolbar: Selects the Go To A Different Folder box and moves down the entries in the box

F5: Refreshes the current window.

F6: Moves among panes in Windows Explorer

F7: Spell check and grammar check a document in Microsoft programs such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, etc.

F8: Enter the Windows startup menu, commonly used to access Windows Safe Mode

F9: Update selected fields in Microsoft Word

F10: Activates menu bar options

F11: Full-screen mode in all modern Internet browsers.

F12: Open the Save as window in Microsoft Word.

"And note that now pressing F2 shows the dialog without deploying the layout drop down."

Could you further clarify why you expect to see the layout drop down?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the post.

Ignore my last question, I found why you expect that to happen here:

FileMaker® Pro12KeyboardShortcuts(Windows)

So, I would like to revise my previous statement. Any of the "F" keys except the following:

F1 Open FileMaker Pro Help

F2 Open the Layout pop-up menu (and switch layouts)

F3 Zoom document larger

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent
              philmodjunk

This doesn't really seem germane to what I am reporting.

What I am reporting is that F2 produces different results than pressing any of the other F keys. Either the other Fkeys that specify FileMaker functions such as F1 and F3 should also trip the script trigger or F2 should NOT trip the script trigger.

• 5. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

From the help for OnLayoutKeystroke:

"Two types of characters may cause this trigger to activate:

• keys that would normally be applied to an active object

• keys normally used for navigation"

Unless the FileMaker application is specifically coded (F1, F2, F3) to override the Microsoft commands, then all operating system actions take precedent over FileMaker actions. According to Microsoft the "F" keys have special alternate commands:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894513

Help

F1: Opens the Help system for the active window.

I would expect pressing "F1" to work as follows:

Note: F1 is listed as a "General" shortcut action; therefore, Browse mode reads no keystroke.

1. Keystroke, Windows grabs the active window, if FileMaker, Windows opens the help.

2. If Windows does not have a hard coded (registry) action, then FileMaker should open the help.

Summary: The action "Open FileMaker Pro Help" is a hardcoded "General" action by the FileMaker application; therefore, Browse mode reads no keystroke from F1.

Undo

F2: Cancels the previous action.

I would expect pressing "F2" to work as follows:

Note: F2 is listed as both a "General" and "Browse mode" shortcut action; therefore, Browse mode records a keystroke.

1. Keystroke, Windows is asked to "Undo" or "Rename object" yet both actions are hardcoded by the FileMaker application.

2. FileMaker overrides the default Windows command (because either Windows action could alter/erase data), instead performing "Open the Layout pop-up menu (and switch layouts)" which is a Browse mode action.

Summary: Windows took zero action, FileMaker performed "Open the Layout pop-up menu (and switch layouts)" which is a "Browse mode" action and FileMaker will record the keystroke F2.

Redo

F3: Cancels the previous undo action.

I would expect pressing "F3" to work as follows:

Note: F3 is listed as a "Window display" (non-navigation) shortcut action; therefore, Browse mode reads no keystroke.

1. Keystroke, Windows is asked to "Find all files" or "Redo" yet both actions are hardcoded by the FileMaker application.

2. FileMaker overrides the default Windows command (because either Windows action could alter/erase data), instead performing the "Zoom document larger" which is a Window display action.

Summary: The action "Zoom document larger" is a hardcoded "Window display" action by the FileMaker application; therefore, Browse mode reads no keystroke from F3.

FileMaker Pro 12 (Advanced) behaves as designed and records keystrokes which are also "Browse mode" actions but not those which are Windows actions, "General" actions, or "Window display" actions.

Additionally, while researching I discovered a free third party application that allows a Windows user to remap his "F" keys here:

Windows Key Remapper

This application writes to the Windows registry so use caution. To test, I remapped my F1-F10 keys (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0) and FileMaker records a keystroke for each key.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent
                  philmodjunk

Let me try again:

In browse mode, when I press F2 I get the layout menu to pop up. When I press F3 I get the window to zoom to 150%.

These are both FileMaker actions, not OS actions correct?

Yet F2 trips the script trigger AND shows the layout menu and F3 zooms the layout but DOES NOT trip the tirgger.

This is inconsistent.

Either both should trip the trigger or neither should trip the trigger.

• 7. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the reply.

I forwarded a report to Testing to obtain additional clarification on whether the "F2" browse navigation keyboard shortcut "Open the Layout pop-up menu (and switch layouts)" should trigger OnLayoutKeystroke, and whether the "F3" window display keyboard shortcut "Zoom document larger" should not trigger OnLayoutKeystroke.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: F key behavior with Keystroke Triggers is inconsistent
                      philmodjunk

After some back channel discussions with TSFalcon, this one looks like it is going to be a case of "Poorly documented behavior" rather than an actual bug in the system.