1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 3:48 PM by TSGal

Failed Excel Exporting

drted

Summary

Failed Excel Exporting

Description of the issue

Dear FM:Over and over again, my system fails to export data to Excel.  I get the message: "Filename.xls could not be created on this disk.  Us a different name, make more room on the disk, unlock it or use a different disk" Now I know there is a work around where I have to go in and delete a pref file, and then restart...and it works...but I have to do this over and over!  How long!  It is only a very temporary fix and breaks quickly again.  No I only try to use this every few weeks or so...so don't know at what point it breaks, but it seems that every time I need the feature, it is broken, and I have to go thru the fix again and again.  Help! Ted  

• 1. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
          TSGal

Ted:

Thank you for your post.

We definitely know about this issue, but no information is available when this will be fixed.

One other option you may try is to turn off Instant Web Publishing.  This has helped with many users.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
            eswanborg

Is there any update on this issue?  i just (unfortunately) ran into this problem.  I can export just fine from my Mac clients, but when a PC tries to export a file it gives me the "could not be created on this disk.  Use a different name...." error.  Looks like maybe error 800.

EDIT - AND is this related to the inability to save PDF files?

What Pref file is causing this error?  Is it local or on the FMServer?

eric

• 3. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
              TSGal

eswanborg:

Thank you for your post.

Most of these issues occur on Mac OS X.

Are you using FileMaker Pro 10?  What is the name of your database file and the name of your Excel file?  Does an Excel file of the same name already exist?  Do you have full read/write privileges to the directory?

No, this is not related to any PDF file export (unless read only privileges).

The export is always done from the local machine.

Any other information you can provide could help me narrow down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                gke

I am experiencing exactly the same issue with version 9v0.3 on Mac OS 10.5.8. Turning instant web publishing off does not solve the problem. I need to get my data into Excel - what is there I can do.

• 5. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                  TSGal

gke:

Thank you for your post.

If you are unable to export to Excel, try exporting using the "Merge" format.  This is exactly like a comma-separated file except the field names are included in the first row.  That way, when you import the file into Excel, the field names will appear in the first row.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                    gke

Thank you for your advice - this does indeed work, and is compatible with IWP, but there is one problem - it does not offer very much text encoding options for the resulting merge file - in my case there is text in cyrillic script which gets lost on export. Is there really no way to get the Excel export option behave as should? What causes the problem?

• 7. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                      TSGal

gke:

This definitely occurs when IWP is enabled.  We had one report from a customer in 2008 that did not fix the problem.  After several things were tried, removing the preferences file appears to have fixed the problem.  Therefore, I would try this.  You can find the Preferences file at:

User Account -> Library -> Preferences -> com.filemaker.*

If this doesn't fix the problem, let me know, and I'll contact Development for more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                        gke

How would you advice me to proceed? Delete the preferences file when IWP is active, or with IWP switched off?

• 9. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                          TSGal

gke:

Delete the Preferences file when FileMaker is not active.  That is, quit FileMaker Pro, delete the Preferences file, and launch FileMaker Pro.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                            gke

I deleted the preference files ('com.filemaker.pro.plist' and 'com.filemaker.filemakerpro.plist') but unfortunately that also did not solve the problem - when IWP is enabled I still cannot export to Excel.

• 11. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                              TSGal

gke:

In your original post, you said "Turning instant web publishing off does not solve the problem."  Therefore, I was going by that premise.

It is correct with FileMaker Pro 9.0 on Leopard, that with Instant Web Publishing enabled, you cannot export as Excel.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                                gke

Is the situation any different with FMPro under 10.6?

• 13. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                                  TSGal

gke:

The problem has not been updated since 2009 before Snow Leopard was released.  However, I just installed FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 on my Snow Leopard machine (10.6.3), and I'm able to export to Excel either through the Export command or through Save Records As Excel.  However, before making the investment to Snow Leopard, I would encourage you to find someone with a Snow Leopard machine and install FileMaker Pro 9.0v3 and make sure you are able to export first.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Failed Excel Exporting
                                    gke

I already bought Snow Leopard, just didn't get down to installing it yet. I will do so and see if the problem persists. To make sure - on your machine under 10.6.3 exporting to Excel worked while Instant Web Publishing was active?

Thanks!

1 2 Previous Next