2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 9:38 AM by wayne3s

    Failure to add new field to layout

    wayne3s

      Summary

      Failure to add new field to layout

      Description of the issue

      I am using FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 on a PowerPC Mac running OS 10.5.8. I just cloned a large, rather complex database used to analyze voter data in order to analyze the results of the most recent election. I added a new text field for that election. The field did not appear automatically in the layout, despite that being the setting in preferences. I tried to drag the field into the layout, but the field does not appear in the list of available fields. I double checked the list of fields, and it does exist. The database has 573 fields. Have I exceeded a limit on the number of fields?

        • 1. Re: Failure to add new field to layout
          TSGal

          wayne3s:

           

          Thank you for your post.

           

          I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.8 on an Intel iMac, along with FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.

           

          The maximum height of a layout is 110".  When a standard layout is created, it will place as many fields that will fit within 110".  Therefore, it is possible that a field will not be automatically added to the layout.

           

          When you drag a field onto the layout, the field listing should display all fields in the order they were created.  Type the first three characters of the field name in question, and it should highlight that field name, or a field name with the same first three characters.

           

          I have just created a table with almost 600 fields, and it looks like 400+ fields display in a Standard Layout, and I'm also able to drag a field onto the layout, and all 600 fields display in the field list.

           

          If you are still unable to resolve the issue, please let me know.

           

          TSGal

          FileMaker, Inc. 

          • 2. Re: Failure to add new field to layout
            wayne3s
              

            Thank you for your prompt reply. I had the same database on my MacBook and was able to add fields to it, so I deleted the offending version and copied the database from the MacBook. I was able to add fields to it after it was on the PowerPC machine, so the issue has gone away. I need to clean up the database, as I'd had to create new layouts and respond to questions with new fields to analyze voter data very quickly as the campaign progressed. The result was functional, but not pretty.

             

            Thanks again.