1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 9:52 AM by TSGal

False Error: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a...

databuzz

Summary

False Error: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I've encountered this a few times a week. I open a solution file - I then use the New Window menu command to open a new window. In the 2nd newly opened window I then switch to layout mode.

At this point there are 2 only 2 FileMaker windows - the first window in Browse Mode and the 2nd window in Layout mode. In the 2nd window I then attempt to edit the layout and I get this message:

This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

There is definitely only 1 window in layout mode at this moment. No matter what I do I cannot edit the layout in the 2nd window until I either:

1. close the 1st window
      2. change to a different layout in the 1st window (even though it is only in browse mode)

I'll send an email with a screenshot showing this error with the 2 windows visible - 1 in browse mode and the 2nd in layout mode.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Though this doesn't happen 100% of the time here's the steps when it does occur:

Open a solution file - I then use the New Window menu command to open a new window. In the 2nd newly opened window I then switch to layout mode.

At this point there are 2 only 2 FileMaker windows - the first window in Browse Mode and the 2nd window in Layout mode. In the 2nd window I then attempt to edit the layout and I get this message:

This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

There is definitely only 1 window in layout mode at this moment. No matter what I do I cannot edit the layout in the 2nd window until I either:

1. close the 1st window
      2. change to a different layout in the 1st window (even though it is only in browse mode)

Expected result

Edit the layout without an error message

Actual result

Error message: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Workaround

1. close the 1st window

• 1. Re: False Error: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a...
          TSGal

databuzz:

Thank you for the post.

This issue usually occurs if you have your cursor in a field in the first window while you attempt to edit the layout.  However, I did receive your screen shot, and I do not see any field being edited in the first window.  With that said, and since you mentioned this issue doesn't occur 100% of the time, I have sent the information and screen shot to our Development and Testing teams for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.