AnsweredAssumed Answered

False Error: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a...

Question asked by databuzz on Jul 21, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 22, 2014 by TSGal

Summary

False Error: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v3

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I've encountered this a few times a week. I open a solution file - I then use the New Window menu command to open a new window. In the 2nd newly opened window I then switch to layout mode.

At this point there are 2 only 2 FileMaker windows - the first window in Browse Mode and the 2nd window in Layout mode. In the 2nd window I then attempt to edit the layout and I get this message:

This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

There is definitely only 1 window in layout mode at this moment. No matter what I do I cannot edit the layout in the 2nd window until I either:

1. close the 1st window
2. change to a different layout in the 1st window (even though it is only in browse mode)

I'll send an email with a screenshot showing this error with the 2 windows visible - 1 in browse mode and the 2nd in layout mode.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Though this doesn't happen 100% of the time here's the steps when it does occur:

Open a solution file - I then use the New Window menu command to open a new window. In the 2nd newly opened window I then switch to layout mode.

At this point there are 2 only 2 FileMaker windows - the first window in Browse Mode and the 2nd window in Layout mode. In the 2nd window I then attempt to edit the layout and I get this message:

This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

There is definitely only 1 window in layout mode at this moment. No matter what I do I cannot edit the layout in the 2nd window until I either:

1. close the 1st window
2. change to a different layout in the 1st window (even though it is only in browse mode)

Expected result

Edit the layout without an error message

Actual result

Error message: This layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Workaround

1. close the 1st window

Outcomes