1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 13, 2009 10:27 AM by TSGal

Faulting application fmserver.exe

pat_pai

Summary

Faulting application fmserver.exe

Description of the issue

Good morning, My bug/error is from the server side. I've got this error in my "Error Viewer log" and i would like to know if there's anything at all i can do to fix it permanently: Event Type:      ErrorEvent Source:   Application ErrorEvent Category:            (100)Event ID:          1000Date:                11/8/2008Time:                7:07:07 PMUser:                N/AComputer:        Description:Faulting application fmserver.exe, version 9.0.1.84, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0004afb2. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 6d 73   ure  fms0018: 65 72 76 65 72 2e 65 78   erver.ex0020: 65 20 39 2e 30 2e 31 2e   e 9.0.1.0028: 38 34 20 69 6e 20 6e 74   84 in nt0030: 64 6c 6c 2e 64 6c 6c 20   dll.dll 0038: 35 2e 32 2e 33 37 39 30   5.2.37900040: 2e 33 39 35 39 20 61 74   .3959 at0048: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20    offset 0050: 30 30 30 34 61 66 62 32   0004afb2 Right now i can fix this by doing a restart but i'm looking for a more permanent way of fixing this error if there's one. Thank you very much

• 1. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
          TSGal

patpai:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, the log doesn't tell me how you got this error.  Do you remember what you were doing at the time when you received the error?

One thing I noticed in the log is that you are using Server version 9.0v1.  I would encourage you to download the latest version (9.0v3) from our web site at:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters/fms_9.0v3_win_updater.html

This latest version has all the current updates, and this might correct the problem you are encountering.

If you still run into the same problem with the latest update, please let me know what you were doing to receive the error. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
            pat_pai

Ok thank you very much for that info, i will update server to current patch and see what happens.

And to answer to your question about what i was doing when it happened, im afraid i cant tell you much as it occured on the weekend and i cant seam to find any interesting enuff info in the even viewer to get a much clearer picture.

• 3. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
              pat_pai

All seams to be stable now. I've updated both servers to version 3.

Thx for your help.

• 4. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                BakerD

I am receiving a lot of faults which immediatly crash FMP Advanced, but not FMPserver or the OS:

Faulting application FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version 8.5.2.378, faulting module XText.dll, version 8.5.1.378, fault address 0x00009486.

This seems to be most likely, but not predictably when executing a "Send Event". Note the event app is not faulting, but FMP is faulting.

OS is MS Server 2003 with all latest updates. DB is being served from Advanced server 8.0v4 and faulting app is FMP Acvanced 8.5v2 running on the same machine as the server.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat
                0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail
                0010: 75 72 65 20 20 46 69 6c   ure  Fil
                0018: 65 4d 61 6b 65 72 20 50   eMaker P
                0020: 72 6f 20 41 64 76 61 6e   ro Advan
                0028: 63 65 64 2e 65 78 65 20   ced.exe
                0030: 38 2e 35 2e 32 2e 33 37   8.5.2.37
                0038: 38 20 69 6e 20 58 54 65   8 in XTe
                0040: 78 74 2e 64 6c 6c 20 38   xt.dll 8
                0048: 2e 35 2e 31 2e 33 37 38   .5.1.378
                0050: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73    at offs
                0058: 65 74 20 30 30 30 30 39   et 00009
                0060: 34 38 36                  486    

• 5. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                  TSGal

BakerD:

Thank you for your post.

You should not be running FileMaker Pro Advanced on the same server as FileMaker Server.  I'm assuming FileMaker Server is not running concurrently.  If you are, then quit FileMaker Server and then launch FileMaker Pro Advanced.

To make sure FileMaker Pro Advanced isn't corrupt, try launching it on another computer.  If it doesn't work, then we'll get another copy to you.

If it still doesn't start, then send us the crash log.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the log files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                    prohooked

Hi TSGal,

This issue happened to me this morning too ( April 2nd 2009).  Same pattern as BakerD although my setup is a tad different ( my Filemaker Server is 9.0.3.326 running on XP Pro sp3 and Filemaker Pro Advanced 8.5 running on a different pc with XP pro sp3 as the OS).  The same issue happened to me a few weeks back  ( March 20th 2009) but I did not pay much attention to it, just relauched Filemaker Pro Advanced and all seemed fine.  This morning, as it happened again, I Googled it and found this post, so I guess there is more to it than it appears.  Here a my XP logs:

April 2nd log :

Application défaillante filemaker pro advanced.exe, version 8.5.2.378, module défaillant xtext.dll, version 8.5.1.378, adresse de défaillance 0x00009486.

Pour plus d'informations, consultez le centre Aide et support à l'adresse http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 6c   ure  fil
                    0018: 65 6d 61 6b 65 72 20 70   emaker p
                    0020: 72 6f 20 61 64 76 61 6e   ro advan
                    0038: 38 20 69 6e 20 78 74 65   8 in xte
                    0060: 34 38 36 0d 0a            486..  

March 20th log:

Application défaillante filemaker pro advanced.exe, version 8.5.2.378, module défaillant xtext.dll, version 8.5.1.378, adresse de défaillance 0x00009486.

Pour plus d'informations, consultez le centre Aide et support à l'adresse http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 6c   ure  fil
                    0018: 65 6d 61 6b 65 72 20 70   emaker p
                    0020: 72 6f 20 61 64 76 61 6e   ro advan
                    0038: 38 20 69 6e 20 78 74 65   8 in xte
                    0060: 34 38 36 0d 0a            486..  

As far as running Advanced Pro on another pc, that would prove difficult as I have only one license of Filemaker Pro Advanced and this issue does not happen every day.  I am the administrator and must work at this pc.

This crash first happened after I upgraded to server 9 ( prior, I was on server 8).  I do not recall this happening beforehand on server 8.  When I lauch Filemaker Pro ( regular or Advanced) on any pc, I hook to the server and lauch 43 databases through an opening script.

If you could let me know what you recommend I do, else than trying Filemaker Pro Advanced on another pc for the above mentionned reasons, please let me know.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                      TSGal

Prohooked:

Thank you for your post.

Do you remember what occurred just before the crash?  Was it also a "Send Event" script step like "BakerD"?  I know BakerD said it happened "mostlikely" and I'm sure that isn't the cause, but I'm trying to find some commonality.  Anything you can remember would be helpful.

Unfortunately, your log just says that it fail, but doesn't give the reason why, so I'll need additional information to proceed with this further.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                        prohooked

Hi TSGal,

In answer to your querries, like I said, my opening script launches 43 databases all with their own opening scripts.  I couldn't know much else than guessing what happened as the application suddently quits while doing one of these 43 opening scripts which run by themselves without my direct intervention ( that is what scripts are for aren't they). 

Having Filemaker Pro Advanced, if you point me at the right steps to take to get a log of the processes I could then send you, I could run the debbuging control.  Now that could be quite a time consuming chore as this only happened twice in 14 days and I have quite a few scripts like mentionned earlier

.  Is there another way that you could suggest as you are certainly more tuned up to the diagnostic capabilities of Advanced and or XP than most if not all of us.

Thanks

Cheers

• 9. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                          TSGal

Prohooked:

Yes, I do work for FileMaker, but I am far from an expert on the contents of the logs!

Still, if this was happening to me, I would create another table named "OPENED" with one text field, FILE.  Since your opening script opens 43 database files, I would insert a step after each Open File step that updates "OPENED" with the last file opened.  As a simplistic case, assume you have three files opening - One.fp7, Two.fp7 and Three.fp7.  In my opening script, where it used to say:

Open File [ "One.fp7" ]

Open File [ "Two.fp7" ]

Open File [ "Three.fp7" ]

....  I would change it to:

Open File [ "One.fp7" ]

Go to Layout [ <layout for OPENED> ]

Set Field [ File ; "One.fp7" ]

Commit Records/Request [ No dialog ]

Open File [ "Two.fp7" ]

Set Field [ File ; "Two.fp7" ]

Open File [ "Three.fp7" ]

Set Field [ File ; "Three.fp7" ]

----------

That is, after each file is opened, we write the contents of what file was opened and commit the record.  If the file crashes, you can go back to OPENED to see what was the last file opened before the crash.  In your case, since each file has an opening script, this will help narrow down which opening script is failing, because you will see the last file that was opened.  Does that make sense?

FileMaker Pro has its own log files.  Since you are running Windows XP, the log files are in the directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\FileMaker\logs

For those of you who have never crashed, this folder may not exist.

Even with all of this said, this is not a cure-all.  However, it may narrow the focus a bit and provide a clue.

Please continue to keep us (myself and other forum members) updated with your progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                            prohooked

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I setup my opening script as close as possible to your description:

I created within the database which runs the opening script for my 43 databases ( called file 0 for the purpose of this forum ) a new "Table" named "opened" and with a field name "file".

the script goes like this:

open file [file 1 ]

go to layout [ "openned" ( file 0)]

set field [openned::file; openned::file = "file 1"]

commit record/requests [no dialog]

As you can see, tThe only difference with your description of the "set field" part of the script steps.

It must not be ok as I receive the following error message :

"this operation could not be completed because the tgarget is not part of a related table"

Could you suggest a correction to my or your scripting steps in order to avoid this error message.  I'm too tired to think it through, I'm about to hit bed.

Regarding your mention of a log, I have no such log in my documents and settings folder.

Thanks

Cheers

• 11. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                              TSGal

Prohooked:

Thanks for the information.

In your Set Field script step, it should say:

Set Field [ Openned::file ; "file 1" ]

Since you have FileMaker Pro Advanced, pull down the Tools menu and select Script Debugger.  This will allow you to step through the script.

What folders/files do you have in your \Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\FileMaker folder?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                                prohooked

Hi TSGal,

I was really tired wasn't I?!

However, after correcting that sleep deprived mistake, the result is the same, i.e. I get the same error message:

"this operation could not be completed because the target is not part of the related table".

I then disabled my opening script to activate the "debug script" mode and after reenabling my script, when it get to the set field part of the script, it generates the above mentionned error message with no data added to the data viewer(which is perfectly logical).

Any other suggestions related to that error message?

As far as what is in my documents and settings/application data/filemaker folder, the only content is the "filemaker mobile" folder.

Thanks and Cheers

• 13. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                                  TSGal

Prohooked:

There is no related table, and you are replacing with a text string, so I don't see why this problem is occurring, unless the OPENED file is not open.

Make sure the OPENED file is open before running the script, or have it as the first line in the script.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: Faulting application fmserver.exe
                                    prohooked

Hi TSGal,

It now works.

All I needed to do is put my "FILE" field in my "file0" database instead of creating a new table in my "file0" database.

I should have brought my next question up before doing all this work:

As the issue is Filemaker Pro Advanced crashing while launching, will the "set fields" I just created have time to "register" on the server for me to be able to consult at which point it did crash?

What's your opinion on this matter?

Thanks

Cheers

1 2 Previous Next