2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 11:27 AM by JamesStump

Field contents aren't selected when displaying on web via IWP

TWE

Summary

Field contents aren't selected when displaying on web via IWP

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved  FileMaker Server Advanced, Server Version    10.0.1.64 Operating System(s) involved  server running: Microsoft Windows Server 2003, service pack 2  browser running: Windows 7 Home premium Detailed description of the issue  After bringing up a database in a browser, I selected one of the fields to edit. The field behavior setting "Select entire contents of field on entry" was ON for all fields except the last two. When tabbing through the fields (with the TAB key), none of the fields were selected. Exact steps to reproduce the issue  (1) Using FileMaker Pro, for a simple FileMaker database, change the field behavior for all fields for "Select entire contents of field on entry" to ON. Be sure to do this remotely on the database that FileMaker Server is using.    View -> Layout Mode    Select a field    Right click Field/Control -> Behavior    Make sure that the "Select entire contents of field on entry" checkbox ix checked  (2) Bring up a browser. I tried this on IE 8, Safari 4.0.4 and Firefox 3.5.5 - same result.  (3) Select a field to edit (list view)  (4) Press the TAB key to move from one field to the next Expected Result  For the fields whose behavior "Select entire contents of field on entry" is set to ON, the field contents should be selected when one TABs into it. Actual Result  The contents of none of the fields were selected.  Note that in FileMaker Pro the field contents are selected according to the "Select entire contents of field on entry" setting. Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedAny additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue  I tried this in List view and Detail view with the same result. Any workarounds that you have found  No work-around. If you want the field selected you have to do this yourself.  --tom

• 1. Re: Field contents aren't selected when displaying on web via IWP
          TSGal

TWE:

Thank you for the post.

At this time, the browser software does not recognize the FileMaker Pro setting to select entire contents.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue, and I have attached this thread to the case.  If any additional information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Field contents aren't selected when displaying on web via IWP
            JamesStump

I don't think this answer is addressing the problem.  It is not about 'select entire contents' because that did not affect the problem in any setting.  I had the same problem with FileMaker Pro 11 Advanced and found that the problem is that, even though they seem to be on top because you can see the fields, you need to select all the fields and then go to ARRANGE and then BRING TO FRONT.  They will work going forward.

I have had a similar problem with tabs that have hyperlinks in them.  If you place a word over the tab, like HOME, and the tab has the linking information, online you will not be able to click directly on HOME but rather on the edge of the tab.  The text field is laying on top of the tab and not letting you click on the tab graphic.  You can add the hyperlink to the text field or you can simply change the ARRANGE order of the layers.

Hope this is helpful.

Larry