bmw

Summary

Field cut off after transfer from Mac to iOS devices

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I just purchased 12.0.2 and installed Filemaker Go in iOS6 iPhone and iPad.
      I shared a database maintained on the Mac via dropbox.
      I opened it in both iPad and iPhone. On the iOS devices in a particular layout, I have the same problem: a number of lines of text are not displayed. It is a list view, records separated visually by a line. Above that is a text field, large enough to show all info for all records on the Mac. On the iOS devices, about 3 lines are cut off. To the left is a container field with a picture; it appears that the relative sizes may be changing????

Steps to reproduce the problem

not done

Expected result

I expext to see the same information on a layout on iOS as on the Mac

Actual result

Fiels cut off

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

NA

Workaround

None

EliteBillFromiPhone.PNG

• 1. Re: Field cut off after transfer from Mac to iOS devices

bmw:

Thank you for the post.

Does this only occur if a container field is on the layout? Does this also occur in Form view?

TSFalcon
               FileMaker, Inc.
          • 2. Re: Field cut off after transfer from Mac to iOS devices
            codecruncher

In my solution the right side of screen will be cut off on an iPhone after I move the iPhone 90 degrees and back. The layout is not correctly resized after going from the vertical view to the horizontal view and back to the vertical view. It will happen to any solution that was not specifically designed for the actual size of the iPhone but is slightly larger. You can get the entire screen back by zooming out with a hand gesture.

• 3. Re: Field cut off after transfer from Mac to iOS devices
              bmw

CodeCruncher: I see no difference in what is not displayed when going to landscape. I just have to scroll  to the right, less.

TSFalcon: It occurs in form view. I just tested a layout without the container, and it still occurs.

But I realize my description of the text as a text field is incorrect, it is text of the type that reference fields, a la

<<Navn>> er pt <<Alder>> år og blev kandidat i <<kandidat>>. 
                   I de følgende <<ÅrSidenKand>> år har <<NavnKort>> ifølge Web of Science:
                   <<PublTot>> publikationer der er citeret i alt <<IaltCit>> gange 
                        <<ProcFremmedCit>> % af disse ved "View without self-citations"
                        i snit <<CitPerArtikel>> citationer per artikel. 
                   Dette giver <<CitPrActÅr>> citationer per aktivt år.

(Never mind the Danish, you'll get it).

If I increase the size of this 'field' so there is room for three more lines - generating a big space between records in the report on the Mac - all text is displayed on the iPhone.

Is this a question of font sizes or line-distances not matching??

bmw

• 4. Re: Field cut off after transfer from Mac to iOS devices

@All:

Thank you for the additional information.

The word from Testing and Development is this behavior is expected due to the way font mapping works. Fonts render slightly differently via iOS versus a Mac OS or even a Windows OS. The suggestion is to use one of the recommended fonts found on page 13 of the FileMaker Go Development guide located here:

http://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

Conditional formatting could also be used to change the size or the font of the text when viewed via iOS.

TSFalcon
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Field cut off after transfer from Mac to iOS devices
                  codecruncher

Thanks TSFalcon - I misunderstood the initial post. Either way my issue is due to the fact that FileMaker Go calculates the correct zoom level to display all information when the iPhone is moved at a 90 degree angle but when the iphone is moved back to the initial position the zoom level defaults to 100% and the right side of the layout is being cut off.