Summary

Field cut off in WebDirect

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I have been unable to find an answer online, apologies if there is a simple solution to this. I have a database online via webdirect and am having an issue with a drop down box that is getting its selections from a value list. Although the drop down is large enough to display all of the text in the value list it seems like it has a predetermined cut off. I have tried to delete the field on the layout and replace it, but I am having the same issue. It displays fine in Filemaker Pro Advanced 13, but once online it cuts off. The same happens when this field is inserted in different areas of the database, but I have not noticed it happening with other fields.

Any help is appreciated, version details below and comparison image attached.

WIndows 7
      Filemaker Pro Adv 13
      Filemaker Server 13
      Browsers error occurs: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer

Thanks,

Cole

Steps to reproduce the problem

DB uploaded to Filemaker Server 13, field is cutoff without any actions other than opening the form

Expected result

Text would be displayed completely

Actual result

Text is cut in half

Field_Cut_Off.jpg

• 1. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
          TSGal

Cole Schulte:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I have FileMaker Server 13.0v1 running on a Windows 2008 Server R2 machine.

2. Under Windows 7, I launch FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 and access the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 file.

3. I create a new table (TEST) and add a Text field "PopUp".

4. I format "PopUp" to be a Pop-up menu using the three values from your screen shots:

[DERM] Procedural Dermatology
               [PSYCH] Chjile & Adolexscent Psychiatry
               [Path] Blood Banking and Transfusion Medicine

5. I size "PopUp" to be about five inches in width.

6. In Browse, I add three records, where each record has one of the three values.

7. I launch Chrome, access the FMServer_Sample.fmp12 via WebDirect, and I do not get any cut-off of text.

I tried the same thing with a file on a Mac Server and accessed via Safari under Mac OS X.

Try removing the field from the layout, and placing a new instance of the field on the layout.  Does this work?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible cause.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
            ColeSchulte

TSGal:

I did try removing the field and recreating it but it did not work. Attached is an image of the new field and old on this message. I also completely deleted the old field and added it back in and the result was the same. Unfortunately I am new to Filemaker and not sure what other information would be relevant. If you have any ideas of what I could send please let me know.

Thanks,
                 Cole

• 3. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
              philmodjunk

Try this on a brand new blank layout. Create a blank layout based on the same table and then use the field tool to add a totally new instance of this field to the layout. Perhaps the layout has an issue and this test will check that.

If that doesn't work, try creating a small simple test file and see if you get the same behavior. That will check to see if there is an issue with your file.

• 4. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                TSGal

Cole Shulte:

What theme is being used on the layout?   What font and font size is being used in the field?  If you change to a different font and/or font size, is there any change?

If you create a new field and attach the same value list to the new field, does it display correctly?

If you move the field out of the tab panel, does it work correctly?

If you create a new layout with just the field formatted as a Pop-up menu, does it display correctly?

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                  ColeSchulte

Phil: I created the new layout and used the dragged a new field on and pointed it at the same source. I got the same result. I then created a new database and recreated it and all field contents are displayed in WebDirect.

New Layout:

New Database:

TSGal:

What theme is being used on the layout?   River

What font and font size is being used in the field? Calibri, 12 pt  If you change to a different font and/or font size, is there any change? Nope, same

If you create a new field and attach the same value list to the new field, does it display correctly? Nope, same

If you move the field out of the tab panel, does it work correctly?  Nope, same

If you create a new layout with just the field formatted as a Pop-up menu, does it display correctly? Nope, same

Since it worked in a new database, any thoughts on what setting could be causing this or is it just a bug?

Thanks,
                       Cole

• 6. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                    TSGal

Cole Schulte:

Since a new database file works (assuming same theme, font, font size, etc.), it appears your original file is damaged.  Before moving everything to a new file, try using an old backup file.  Does this experience the same behavior?  If not, then just update the backup file.

Try a Recover on the original file.  It may or may not fix the issue, but it is worth a try.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                      philmodjunk

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                      3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                      5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                      7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 8. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                        ColeSchulte

Thanks TSGal & Phil

• 9. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                          gladams

Not so sure this is a damaged file problem. I have the same problem with Chrome, the drop down and pop up menu lists are both cut off at 22 characters. This does not occur on IE. Haven't checked Safari. If it was a damaged file issue, I would have thought it would occur on all browsers. Another point it is only the display that is wrong, the full name is in the field. I checked this by creating an edit field of the same field where the chosen item is displayed in full.

• 10. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                            gladams

Just tried it with 2 completely different files and same problem occurs. I do not believe all 3 files are damaged.

• 11. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                              TSGal

Graham Adams:

I also don't believe all three files are damaged.  Therefore, I'll need more information to try and reproduce it here.

Is the same theme being used on all three files?  What are the themes being used? 

Is the same font and font size being used on all three files/  What are the font and font sizes being used?

Is there any special formatting for the text fields?  That is, pop-up?  Right-aligned?

What version of Chrome are you using?

TSGal
                                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                                gladams

Hi

If you can give me an email address to send them to, I can give you access to one of the files. It is not the master as still some work to be done on it, especially getting radio buttons to come up correctly, so can give read/write access. Regarding your questions:

Two themes have been used for webdirect, although the intention is to standardise on one, as one theme (wave) does not display tabs well in a browser, so for the web will be using warm blue on all three files. At the moment the following themes are used:

File: EcoFly Knowledge - Warm blue for web, wave for PC and touch wave for iPad

File: EcoFly Simple - Wave for both web and PC

File: DfE Online - Wave for both web and PC

In all cases the the pop up and drop down list cuts the selected item at 22 characters unless it is shorter, then it displays it all.

The warm blue layouts were produced by duplicating the Wave theme layouts and editing where necessary.

All the files have multiple layouts for different screen resolutions. The fonts are therefore 12 and 14, and the problem exists on both. The fonts are the default for the theme.

The pop-up/drop down lists are all left aligned

The Chrome version is 33.0.1750.146 m

I don't know whether this has any bearing on it, but all the files are fairly large, varying between 69 and 470 MB

Hope this helps

Graham

• 13. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                                  TSGal

Graham Adams:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send a clone of the file.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Field cut off in WebDirect
                                    TSGal

Graham Adams:

No need to send in your file.  With the information you supplied, I was able to replicate the issue under Chrome and the Warm Blue theme.

It is not the number of characters, but the width gets cut off around 2.5 inches in Warm Blue, and 2 inches under Enlightened.  This only occurs with Chrome 33, as it works correctly under Safari.

I have forwarded this information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                         FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next