Summary

Field Name Changes Not Reflected in Layout

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac

Description of the issue

Despite the fact that I have the box checked for "Add newly defined fields to current layout," the changes I make to the field names when in Manage Database do not show up in the layout. I have experimented with changing the field names both within and without the tab panel in which they are supposed to reside. I have opened and closed the program. My tab panel needs only to show the field name, not the edit box, so I removed the edit boxes. Will field name changes not update if there is no edit box on the layout? That seems ridiculous.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have created a new layout and directed all the fields from the initial layout (where I really want my fields) to populate the new layout. I then copied the fields from the new layout to the initial layout (a decent way to add multiple fields, and the only way I've found to do so, since there is no "add multiple fields" option for layouts). I tested whether changes made to the field names would then automatically appear in the layout when editing said field names in the initial layout. They do not. They do, however, appear in the new layout (which, unfortunately, NOT where I actually want the changes to appear).

Outcomes