#2 is the one that looks scary and got my attention. This sounds a lot like corruption. Have you tried running Recover on the file? Maybe do so and read the log afterwards. Don't use the recovered file.
Thank you for the post.
The normal behavior when using "View by: field type" in the manage database dialog is first to list the fields by type and second to list alphabetically. If I change the name of a calculation field from "BBB" to "AAA," then the new order will display "AAA" in the list before "BBB."
I created a sample file to test the provided scenarios and my results and a screenshot of the manage database dialog follow:
1) Double-clicked "Mcalculation" and clicked "OK"
Result: The field remains in the identical position.
Note: I repeated this with the "Ncalculation" field and nothing moved.
2) Nothing moved, so unable to replicate the issue described.
3) Double-clicked each field (in random sequence) and clicked "OK"
Result: All fields of all types remain in the identical position.
Note: However, as expected renaming "Ncalculation" to "Acalculation" does move the field above the "Mcalculation" in the dialog window, but this change takes place immediately after clicking "Change" and the field does not move in the list again even after opening and closing the calculation dialog.
To clarify, you are not changing any field names when this behavior occurs? Does this occur in a new file? Perhaps, am I missing a step to replicate?
I just created a sample file from scratch. Please let me know how to get it to you.
I think I can confirm that this does not happen on files created in 13. My production file was created in 11 and then converted to 13, so that is also what I just tried with my newly created sample file. The sort changes can be triggered by either double-clicking and clicking OK, or even changing the LAST (!) letter of the field name.
Thank you for the reply and the offer to send a sample.
Please check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit your file.
Thank you for the file.
I am able to replicate with the provided sample file, and I forwarded a report (along with the file) to Testing and Development for review.