Summary

Field Names don't retain expected sort order in Manage Database

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

Fields sorted in field definitions by field type seem to have an unexpected secondary sort that causes other problems.  It seems the secondary sort has to do with last updated, but isn't necessarily accurate or desirable.  Issues:

1) double-clicking a calc field and then clicking 'OK' (without making any changes), then changes how the fields are sorted.  It's moved to the bottom of the calcs that were just modified, though in my case there are some other non-modified calc fields that are still listed under it.

2) Though the modified field has moved, the fields that were originally listed under the modified field now have names that include duplicates and other misnamed fields (a screen refresh issue perhaps, but see #3 below).

3) Double-clicking the field that is now at the top of the list of calcs asks first if I would like to save my changes (even though I theoretically haven't made any changes).

The best thing to do at this point to avoid complete chaos to a working database is to re-sort by field name and then go back to sort by field type.

Expected result

My preference is for the old pre-13 behavior (no secondary sort other than creation order).  Otherwise, trying to go down the list to apply a name or formula change to each field results in mayhem.

• 1. Re: Field Names don't retain expected sort order in Manage Database
          RickWhitelaw

#2  is the one that looks scary and got my attention. This sounds a lot like corruption. Have you tried running Recover on the file? Maybe do so and read the log afterwards. Don't use the recovered file.

• 2. Re: Field Names don't retain expected sort order in Manage Database

howards:

Thank you for the post.

The normal behavior when using "View by: field type" in the manage database dialog is first to list the fields by type and second to list alphabetically. If I change the name of a calculation field from "BBB" to "AAA," then the new order will display "AAA" in the list before "BBB." 

I created a sample file to test the provided scenarios and my results and a screenshot of the manage database dialog follow:

1) Double-clicked "Mcalculation" and clicked "OK"

Result: The field remains in the identical position.

Note: I repeated this with the "Ncalculation" field and nothing moved.

2) Nothing moved, so unable to replicate the issue described.

3) Double-clicked each field (in random sequence) and clicked "OK"

Result: All fields of all types remain in the identical position. 

Note: However, as expected renaming "Ncalculation" to "Acalculation" does move the field above the "Mcalculation" in the dialog window, but this change takes place immediately after clicking "Change" and the field does not move in the list again even after opening and closing the calculation dialog. 

To clarify, you are not changing any field names when this behavior occurs? Does this occur in a new file? Perhaps, am I missing a step to replicate? 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Field Names don't retain expected sort order in Manage Database
              hschlossberg

TSFalcon --

I just created a sample file from scratch.  Please let me know how to get it to you.

I think I can confirm that this does not happen on files created in 13.  My production file was created in 11 and then converted to 13, so that is also what I just tried with my newly created sample file.  The sort changes can be triggered by either double-clicking and clicking OK, or even changing the LAST (!) letter of the field name.

Howard

• 4. Re: Field Names don't retain expected sort order in Manage Database

howards:

Thank you for the reply and the offer to send a sample.

Please check your inbox at the top of this page for instructions on how to submit your file. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Field Names don't retain expected sort order in Manage Database

howards:

Thank you for the file.

I am able to replicate with the provided sample file, and I forwarded a report (along with the file) to Testing and Development for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.