Field Validation doesn't work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12v2

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.7.4

Description of the issue

Field validation warning shows ' is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout…' while the field is well present on the active layout.
      I can reproduce this issue, but only under the following conditions: 1) separation of data and interface file 2) 'Allow Override' must be turned ON.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Set field validation to 'ot Empty' or any other validation.
      Leave the option 'Allow User to override…' ON
      (optional) specify a custom message.
      From another file, create a file reference to the databse.
      Create a layout based on the external table and add the field to the layout.
      Create a record and violate the validation rule.

Expected result

I expect to see my custom message or the default validation message. I expect not to be able to commit the record unless I confirm to override the validation.

Actual result

The message ' is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout…' while my field is present. I am able to commit the record without being asked to override the validation.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

is defined to require a value, but it is not available on this layout…

Workaround

Turning the option 'Allow Users to override…' OFF solves the problem.

Screen_Shot_2012-08-21_at_17.52.31.png

• 1. Re: Field Validation doesn't work

clickworks:

Thank you for your post.

I was able to confirm this issue on my 10.7.4 machine. I forwarded your report to Development and Testing for review. 

TSFalcon
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
            philmodjunk

@TSFalcon,

Does this bug also occur in windows systems? I'd like to get the next update to the Known Bugs List fully accurate.

• 3. Re: Field Validation doesn't work

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

I am also able to reproduce the issue on Windows 7.

TSFalcon
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
                philmodjunk

Thanks. To see how this was written up in the list: http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/ad61a7e781?commentId=209951#209951

Feel free to contact me if you think any changes need to be made in how it has been documented.

• 5. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
                  VincentD.

Clickworks I can confirm this bug.

I have a large application containing a lot of tables in a 'separate database' (split data files and user interface file). A lot of field validations are present, where the "Allow user to override during data entry" is checked.

Same issue here: the custom message is not displayed, instead I receive this message: "YourFieldname" is defined to require a value, but is not available on this layout. Use another layout to assign a value to this field.  Strange...

This worked faultless in Filemaker 11 not in Filemaker 12 (Mac version).

I consider this a serious bug, since field validation is worthless on a 'split database'. It occurs if "Not empty" or the "Validate by calculation" checkbox is checked. Yet, I didn't test the other options in the field validation tab. 

I have isolated the problem and made two small fm12 files; de backend (datafile) and frontend (user interface file), which simulates the problem. The backend works faultless, the frontend gives the bug. I would like to post to filemaker in order to debug.

"Filemaker" when is a update coming which resolves this issue?

Meanwhile I cannot upgrade my solution to FM12...

Kind regards,

Vincent

• 6. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
                    fishtech_1

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any news on a fix for this? It was reported a year ago.

This problem can really mess up data entry/editing if you use separation model.

Thanks

ft.

• 7. Re: Field Validation doesn't work

Vincent D. & fishtech:

Thank you for the replies.

Our Testing department confirmed the issue and forwarded the report to Development for further review. No additional information is available at this time. Once new information becomes available, I will post back at that time.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
                        fishtech_1

Thanks for the info.

Can I file an additional bug report anywhere to help prioritize this? Surely this is affecting a lot of people who use spearation model (even if they don't realize it).

Thanks,

ft.

• 9. Re: Field Validation doesn't work

fishtech:

Thank you for the reply. 

No additional bug report needs to be filed. I previously added your comments to the original report made to Testing and Development. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
                            HOnzaKoudelka

I have confirmed the bug in FileMaker Pro Advanced 12v4.

Fortunately, there is a way to work around it by using a dialog plug-in

I have just updated our old example for this: http://24usw.com/custval2

HOnza

• 11. Re: Field Validation doesn't work
                              lordhellfire

I had a similar issue and found the problem, at least what it was in my database:
                              http://forums.filemaker.com/comment/291300

Basically check that the next auto assigned ID in the portal ID record is higher than the record with the highest ID number.

The error is thrown because an ID is assigned that already exists, which causes a validation error if you have "Unique" validation selected.

My error was caused when I imported data which contained higher ID's than the field was defined to assign as the next ID.

The problem is that the error text does not directly convey that it is the validation check which fails. In my case it was the "Unique" validation that failed.
                                   The error text misdirects your attention, by stating that the field requires a value (making you think the ID is empty, when it is not) and that the field is not available on the layout (which in this case is irrelevant as the ID field is autogenerated).

What the error SHOULD say is: "The portal field "xxx::yyy_ID" failed validation as it is not Unique."
                                   That would direct your attention to the actual error.