Summary

Fields & fieldnames not displaying

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Max OS 10.6.8

Description of the issue

I have been using a Filemaker database for years.  Now suddenly, on one layout some (not all) of the text lables and field data are not displaying.  The field data is displaying on other layouts.  Also everything displays correctly when I use a different computer.

I attache 2 screenshots - the first is how a layout appears on another computer, the second on my computer.

I recently installed Filemaker 10 advanced - maybe that has something to do with it, but I kept the old Filemaker 10 and they don't display using that.  Also, the same problem is there affecting the same fields on old versions of my data files, so its nothing to do with a particular file.

But I can reinstate the fields on the layout in the layout mode, (see screenshot, I have added a new surname field at the top right.)  so its very odd.

Configuration information

Max OS 10.6.8
      Filemaker 10.0 v3
      Filemaker 10.0 v1

UL-screenshot.jpg

• 1. Re: Fields & fieldnames not displaying
          TSGal

John Kinnear:

Thank you for your post.

When you go into Layout mode on your computer, do the fields appear?

When you perform a Select All, are there handles for areas where fields are supposed to appear?

What font is being used for the field labels?  Are all field labels the same font?

If you create a new layout and move the objects from the original layout to the new layout, is there any change?

Are all others using the same version of FileMaker Pro?  Same operating systems?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Fields & fieldnames not displaying
            JohnKinnear
            Hi TSGal  In layout mode the fields appear but just as boxes, no field names inside them.  The text labels do not appear, but when you click on the place where they should be you see a blank box. Yes when you select all you get the boxes with handles. Font - THAT"S IT.  It was Ariel but when I changed it to Helvetica everything appears. But I have Ariel installed and its working in other applications.  Do I have to set something up in FM? Thanks for your help,
            • 3. Re: Fields & fieldnames not displaying
              TSGal

John Kinnear:

See if you have more than one Arial font installed.  FileMaker Pro will only use TrueType fonts, so if you have an Arial font that is not TrueType, then that may be causing the issue.  If you only have one, try reinstalling Arial again in case there is an issue with the current one.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.