Fields in report not outputting correctly

louisecalise

Summary

Fields in report not outputting correctly

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Description of the issue

I have two canned reports in FileMaker; one for representatives and one for volunteers.  Both reports have the exact same script for reporting, with the exception of the field pulled recognizing the constituent as a representative or volunteer.  The reports were both printing correctly as of May 23; but now the home phone field in the volunteer report appears as "?".  The data on the records is correct.
      How do I identify the problem and fix it?
      Why would a report work one month and not the next when no one changed the script - only admin has the authority to make such changes.

• 1. Re: Fields in report not outputting correctly
          TSGal

Louise Calise:

Thank you for your post.

A "?" usually signifies the contents of the field could not be displayed properly.  Since the printing of the report worked previously, something has obviously changed.  Can you tell me more about the "home phone" field?  Is it a Text field?  Is there any special formatting?  Try removing the field from the Layout and then add it back again.  Does the problem persist?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Fields in report not outputting correctly
            louisecalise

HI TSGal,

thank  you for your reply.  The field is a text field, with no formatting.  I am new to Filemaker -how do I remove the field from the layout and then add it back again?

Louise

• 3. Re: Fields in report not outputting correctly
              TSGal

Louise Calise:

While in FileMaker Pro, pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  This allows you to modify the Layout.

Next, pull down the View menu and turn on "Inspector" (assuming there is no check mark next to Inspector).  This brings up a small window with information about objects on the layout.

Click once on the "home phone" field.  Pull down the Format menu and write down the Font, Size, Style, Align Text, and Line Spacing values.  In the Inspector, click on the Position tab and write down the Position Left, Top, Bottom and Right values, as well as the Size Width and Height values.

Press the delete key once, and the field will be removed from the Layout.

In the Status Bar at the top of the Window, there are a number of icons on the right side.  Put your cursor on the third icon from the right, and after a second or two, a tooltip will appear displaying "Field tool: Drag to add a field to a layout."  Click drag this icon and drag it onto the Layout in approximately the same place where the "home phone" previously appeared and let go.  You will be prompted for a field name.  Find an click once on "home phone", uncheck the option "Create label". and click OK.  The field will have been added.

With the new "home phone" field on the Layout, it is probably still selected.  If not, click once on the field to select it.

Pull down the Format menu and make sure you set the Font, Size, Style, Align Text, and LineSpacing values to what you had previously.  Then, in the Inspector, enter the Position Left value, Size Width, and Size Height values.  (If these three are set correctly, the Position Top, Right and Bottom values will update automatically to what you had previously).  Pull down the View menu and select "Browse Mode".  You will be prompted to save the layout, and save the layout.

See if this makes any difference.  If not, then let me know what Font and Size is being used.  Is this font different than other fields?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Fields in report not outputting correctly
                louisecalise

I am new to FileMaker and worry about deleting anything.  So I'll have to summon a lot of courage before I can proceed with your suggestion; although it does seem like a good one. 

It is just mind boggling that a report will work one day and not another - how does this happen?

I'll be in touch.  Thank you,

Louise

• 5. Re: Fields in report not outputting correctly
                  TSGal

Louise Calise:

If you worried about deleting anything, then don't delete the original field.  Instead, just add another instance of the field to the Layout, and have it displayed in another area of the Layout.  See if this makes a difference.  If it prints, then you can remove the old field and place the new field in its place.

Without seeing the file, it is difficult to speculate what might have happened.  It could be a field issue, a Layout issue, a font issue, a database issue, etc.

Keep me posted with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.