Summary

File does not begin with '%PDF-'

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

All

Description of the issue

When a v13 client is inserting or viewing a PDF into an interactive container where the file is hosted by FMS v12, an error message "File does not begin with '%PDF-..." is displayed.

Steps to reproduce the problem

With FileMaker Pro 13, create a database with a field and insert a PDF into an interactive container.
      Host the database with FileMaker Server 12
      Access the hosted database with FileMaker Pro 13
      Try to browse the PDF

Expected result

You should be able to browse the PDF.

Actual result

You cannot browse and receive the error message.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

File does not begin with '%PDF-' ...

Configuration information

Seem to occurs with both Pro and Go, Mac and Windows.

Workaround

Upgrade to FMS 13.

• 2. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
          TSGal

Fred:

Thank you for your posts.

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  There was a design change in FileMaker Pro 13 where a PNG of the PDF is created for faster display, but FileMaker Server 12 does not understand.  If you insert the PDF using FileMaker Pro 12, then it will be visible within FileMaker Pro 13.  The issue does not occur with FileMaker Server 13 and inserting with FileMaker Pro 13.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
            philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 4. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
              Fred(CH)

@TSGal :
              Ah OK, many thanks for the additional info !

@Phil :
              Is you KBL aware of the issue ? I didn't found it but maybe it is me...

Bye, Fred

• 5. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
                jerrysalem

I am seeing this same issue using WebDirect on a new FileMaker Server 15 host.

We just started WebDirect development, so I don't know if this was really an issue in FMS14.

Jerry

• 6. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
                  TSGal

jerrysalem:

Thank you for your post.

Do you also get the error when viewing the PDF using FileMaker Pro?

Is the Container field set for Secure storage?

Is FileMaker Server 15 deployed on two machines or a single machine?

Does the error appear for all records?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
                    jerrysalem

TSGal

I don't get this error when using FMP

The container field was just created, and is Internally Stored.

FMS15 on a single machine (with a Standby server)

Appears in all records tested so far.

I get the error only on WebDirect on a PC.

On a WebDirect connection with a Mac, I just get a hotlink with the filename.

Clicking on that hotline, opens a new tab asking me to relog into the database.

In WebDirect, I can't download the PDF (I have read the other threads about DLing from WebD)

In FMP, I can successfully DL the correct PDF.

Also FYI, I am creating the PDF on a robot and inserting it into the field via a script.  Although I have tried to Drag and Drop a PDF, and get the same results.

Thanks for looking into this!

Jerry

• 8. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
                      TSGal

jerrysalem:

Thank you for the additional information.

Launch a browser on the server and access the file via WebDirect.  Are you able to download the PDF?

Insert an image into the Container field.  Are you able to download the image via WebDirect?

Is there a firewall enabled on the server?  If so, temporarily turn it off and try again?  Does this work?

In WebDirect, are you accessing the server via IP address or FQDN?  Try switching to the other.  Does this work?

FYI - Dragging and dropping a PDF will insert as a file; not as PDF.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
                        jerrysalem

OK, DevCon is over, we can concentrate on this.

I tried launching a browser directly on the server.  I tried downloading the PDF.  It proceeded and told me the DL was complete, but the file size was only 1k and couldn't open.  I then DL'd the same container using FMPA on a Mac.  It was fine.

I tried uploading a different an image file using FMPA on a mac.

Rolled over to WebD on a Mac.  Wouldn't DL (using a button and right clicking on the image.

Tried WebD on  the server.  Also couldn't' DL the file.

I can't turn off the FireWall right now. Maybe later.

I used both the FQDN and the IP address.

The insert is scripted, I tried both insert file and insert PDF no difference in that I can't view the PDF or download it.

I have done all this before for other clients (create a PDF, insert in a field, view it or DL using WebD.) With similar servers. using FMS13 and 14.

Suggestions?

Jerry

• 10. Re: File does not begin with '%PDF-'
                          TSGal

jerrysalem:

If you cannot download directly from the server, then something is awry.

Open the Admin Console and verify it is the same IP Address you are referencing when attempting to download.

Is the server behind a NAT firewall?  Is SSL turned on?  Do you have anything else running on the server that may conflict with FileMaker Server ports?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.