1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 12:47 PM by TSGal

File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64

tkakavros

Summary

File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64

Description of the issue

Im running File Maker Pro 10 Advanced on Windows 7 x64   and when I am editing a script and if i drag to the bottom of the script at a faster rate of speed File Maker crashes. This also happens when i am dragging objects in a layout.

• 1. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
          philmodjunk

This is a known issue that can be found listed in the Known Bug List v2.

A specific thread documents it at:

Filemaker 10 Advanced Crashes when scrolling long scripts at random

Known Bug List v2, may be accessed at:

Known Bug List

• 2. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
            hschlossberg

Thanks for posting those links, Phil.  I searched FileMaker's KnowledgeBase just a couple days ago to see if there were any known issues.  Article #7454 <http://thefmkb.com/7454> was apparently never updated to reflect this issue, and I'd been trying to figure out how to delicately ask on this list if ANY Windows 7 users had had ANY luck with FileMaker.

I just started using FM 10 on my Windows 7 (64-bit) machine and have found it crashes on me about every 15-30 minutes in my regular development on a remotely-hosted set of files.  Although I know it has crashed a few times while scrolling script windows, it seems it also has crashed on my while switching layouts.

FWIW, the crashing was much worse before I switched to running it under compatibility mode as Windows XP.

Howard 

• 3. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
              philmodjunk

I searched FileMaker's KnowledgeBase just a couple days ago to see if there were any known issues.  Article #7454 <http://thefmkb.com/7454> was apparently never updated to reflect this issue...

And that's one of the reasons I started the Known Buglist...

• 4. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                Steve Wright

Please report this as an issue to filemaker.  If nobody reports it, they will think its a one off (even though its been reproduced)

The more problem reports.. then hopefully somebody will take a look at it eventually.

Until then, dont risk it... unless you backup your files between each script edit.

So far, I have ended up with corrupt file after corrupt file caused by the crashing, so have to dual boot into vista to develop. 

Luckily... They where only test files.  

Just imagine if you did anything on a production file thinking its a quick script change, what could possibly go wrong then boom.

Crash followed by being unable to recover the file, due to the accounts and privileges being corrupt etc. 

• 5. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                  philmodjunk

Good advice, note that posting the but here is reporting it to Filemaker. The original "report a bug" form has been removed and users are encouraged to post bug reports here in order to bring it to their attention.

• 6. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                    TSGal

tkakavros:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize to everyone for the late reply.

The scrolling of the scripts has been reported.

I have been unable to replicate the problem with dragging objects in a layout.  Is this happening with every layout, or one in particular?  If you create a new database file and move objects around, do you encounter the same problem?  Are any of the objects grouped objects?  Is there any alignment turned on?  Any information you can provide to help me replicate the problem would be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                      tkakavros

The issue takes place when I am in a large script and I am scrolling from top to bottom at a decent pace.  The program stops responding and quits.

The layout issue seems like the same type of problem. If I am moving an object at a decent pace the same problem takes place.

• 8. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                        hschlossberg
                           I have also seen it happen (just a minute ago) when opening the data viewer and going to the 'Watch' tab.  What was on there that would have triggered such a thing?  I don't know -- nothing that crashed it on Friday, and now everything I had on there has been cleared out of it, presumably from the crash.
                        • 9. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                          hschlossberg

I have also seen it (a couple minutes ago) crash just in opening scripts sometimes.  Random scripts, no scrolling necessary.  It just gets down to drawing a certain script step (different in each script and in each instance), and then crash.

[RANT] I've complained about this in other threads before, but what makes these crashes most frustrating is that FM Server does not recognize for a few minutes that my previous session was disconnected.  Instead of recognizing that I am the same person on the same machine with the same installation code, and instead of just not letting me have access to files on the conflicting server, FileMaker treats me as a common criminal by completely closing FileMaker with no regard for anything else I might have open.  So I sit twiddling my thumbs for 2-3 minutes (or in this case writing rants) until FileMaker forgives me and my poor Windows 7 machine for crashing the app in the first place, and then finally lets me back in. [/RANT]

• 10. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                            TSGal

howards:

Thank you for your posts.

First, I'm not aware of a problem with the Data Viewer causing a crash, and I don't see this being logged.  Do you know what steps were being performed prior to the crash?  Any information you can remember may be helpful.

Looking at the original script scrolling problem, it appears that it may be related to more than just scripts with several script steps, and possibly related to a script step that contains a long calculation and/or a lot of information (like Send Mail with lots of entries).  Since you mentioned that you are sometimes receiving the crash "just in opening scripts sometimes", can you tell me more about those scripts?  That is, are there any script steps that are long that appear in the first 20 script steps?  When this has crashed, is it the same script (or scripts)?  Or, is this one of those problems that is inconsistent and can happen with any script?  I'm just trying to gather more information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 11. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                              tkakavros
                                 This problem happens with any script. Sometimes when I open the script, or when I am scrolling from top to bottom. Yes these scripts have long calculations and script steps like send mail. I could send you an email with a pdf of one of the scripts if you would like.
                              • 12. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                                hschlossberg

TSGal wrote:

Since you mentioned that you are sometimes receiving the crash "just in opening scripts sometimes", can you tell me more about those scripts?  That is, are there any script steps that are long that appear in the first 20 script steps?  When this has crashed, is it the same script (or scripts)?  Or, is this one of those problems that is inconsistent and can happen with any script?  I'm just trying to gather more information.

I don't recall where in the script it stopped yesterday before it crashed.  And it also depends on what you mean by "long calculation".  There is an Else If[] step with a calc of about 350 characters -- not particularly long in my book.  It can and has happened with any script.  It usually gets down to a certain point (sometimes the same point in the same script, but certainly not always) in "drawing" the script before it freezes for a couple seconds and then crashes.

On the Data Viewer issue, I don't *think* it was in the midst of running a script at the time...but I'm not positive. 

• 13. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                                  Steve Wright

tkakavros 
                                  1. This also happens when i am dragging objects in a layout

2. The layout issue seems like the same type of problem. If I am moving an object at a decent pace the same problem takes place

I was using Windows 7 for quite some time with FMP 10, in fact, I spent about 4 months purely re-designing layouts without a single crash.
                                  Are you sure your file is not corrupt, have you tried a recover of the file to see if it exhibits the same behaviour ?

howards wrote: 
                                  On the Data Viewer issue, I don't *think* it was in the midst of running a script at the time...but I'm not positive. 

I've never had it crash on the data viewer from what I can recall, however have had it crash when using the script debugger, where it draws half of the script to the screen, pauses for a few seconds, then crashes.

I've had a play around myself, since I can consistently reproduce the scrolling crash, but was unable to reproduce it in the data viewer atall, even when putting some extremely ridiculous calculations in place.  
                                  That doesn't mean its not happening though, just thought I would give my feedback.

With the script scrolling issue, it can happen at random points, its not consistently at the same spot, even on the same scripts. 

• 14. Re: File Maker Pro 10 Adv crashes in Windows 7 x64
                                    TSGal

tkakavros:

Thanks for the offer to send in a PDF, but our Testing department already has FileMaker files from other customers, and they have confirmed the problem.  The cause has not been pinpointed yet.

howards:

Thanks for the information.  I didn't expect you to remember, but I was hoping.

From the notes from testing, the scrolling problem seems to manifest more when there is a script step that has many components and displaying a lot of characters.  Therefore, I called it a "long" entry, because you had to scroll several characters to the right to view the entire script step.  Sorry for the confusion.

SW:

Thanks for the information about the Script Debugger.  This has NOT been reported.  Unfortunately, it also sounds like this may be a hard one to narrow down because it is inconsistent.  Like you said, it very well could be a problem with FileMaker Pro 10 and Windows 7.  Please keep an eye on this, and if it occurs again, take a screen shot (if possible) and send me a copy/clone of the file.

All:

Please remember that Windows 7 has only been out a short time.  We're still trying to gather as much information as possible, so if you have any other information, or if you ever encounter another unexpected problem, please let us (me) know!  Naturally, and consistently reproducible case would be ideal.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next