Summary

File Not Available

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX / Windows XP

Description of the issue

Layout that has a portal to a table in another file occasionally doesn't display related data.  Checking the Window menu, the file is not open.  Tried a number of things, but the most interesting part is the results of a couple of error returns on script steps.  Before taking the user to the layout, running a script that performs an Open File always returns an error of 0.  I follow that up with a Perform Script step with a call to the same file and when this fails, it returns an error of 100 (file not found).  I have a bug report system that logs these errors.

I have a scripted process when a user opens the application where I've added a Go To layout that has a field from one of the tables in this file, and error trapped that as well.  It returns an error of 0 every time.

My thought is to just recover the file and see if that helps, but with it being a sporadic issue that I can't reproduce consistently, I'd prefer to find a dependable solution.

I do use server side authentication, but since I explicitly call the file to open on log in to the system, and call it again during a process, I can't imagine that's of any issue.  If there was a network hiccup, it would be amazing if it happened twice to the same user at different times.

This is a high traffic database with 60+ users, and yet this only happens about once a month.

Steps to reproduce the problem

This is a random issue, and I can't manually recreate it, but I've seen it happen to some of my users and I can verify that the file is not open.

Expected result

File opens to rectify relationships and displays data in UI portal.

Actual result

Occasionally doesn't display data, and file is not open.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message, error trapping on my own.  Error code received on perform script = 100, error code on open file script step = 0

Configuration information

Hosted on FMS 11 Advanced, happens on Windows and OSX
      Server side authentication

Workaround

Can't come up with one

• 1. Re: File Not Available
          philmodjunk

I think you should recover the file to be safe. Bugs often result in sporadic failures and you need to rule out this possibility as soon as possible as the presence of damage to your file could suddenly result in even more problems in the near future.

On xp systems, there's a bug that can keep files out of the windows menu, so you can't trust it as a way to confirm what windows are open. I've taken to putting  a multiline unstored calcualtion field on one of my layouts that uses WindowNames to list all open windows in the field as a supplement to the windows menu for that reason. (It doesn't list files with hidden windows, so I still have to check the Windows menu for them...)

• 2. Re: File Not Available
            MichaelO'Brien

I'm going to recover the file over the weekend, and I hope that cleans it up, it's just really odd.  I had no idea about the XP and window menu, thanks for that tip.

• 3. Re: File Not Available
              philmodjunk

I hope you have backup copies....

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
              2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
              3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
              • 4. Re: File Not Available
                MichaelO'Brien

Thanks Phil~

I do have backups, and I'm meticulous about maintaining those, but in general, I've gotten over my fear of putting recovered files into production.  I've been assured by tech folks at FMI that the recover process is reliable.  I know there are folks on both sides of this fence, but I can say from experience that I haven't had any issues in using recovered files, which I've done dozens of times in many different solutions.

That aside, that's so much for your time on this.

• 5. Re: File Not Available
                  philmodjunk

I'm suprised any tech rep from FileMaker would say this.

Quoting from a knowledge base article (#5421) on the recover process:

"I) The “Recover” command will skip over bad blocks of information.  Recover is the next best option for less complicated solutions. Recover will fix many problems, however it can occasionally remove some damaged records/objects if necessary to get the file back in working order."

While it's generally safe to use a recovered file if the recover process reports that it's "Ok to use", there is no way to know for sure that the recovered file is truly 100%. It could be days or weeks before you discover otherwise, thus it is considered "best practice" by experienced developers and any FileMaker tech whom I have talked with about this to replace damaged files with back up copies instead of recovered copies if it is at all possible to do so.

• 6. Re: File Not Available
                    user15307

Michael O'Brien,

As you've noted, it is very difficult to identify the cause of an intermittent issue. It doesn't appear there's enough information here to pinpoint if this as a FileMaker Server issue, or solution-specific.

Let me know what you found after recovering the file. I could also do some testing here. Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSTuatara
                    FileMaker, Inc.