1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2010 10:38 AM by WoodApple

File Size Problems, Buggy?  Am I Missing something here?

thomasfilemaker

Summary

File Size Problems, Buggy?  Am I Missing something here?

Description of the issue

I initially thought that I was dealing with a problem with a third party plugin, but nw think this is a problem with FM11.My first post regarding this issue was: Has anyone any experince with the new release of InsideScan by Powersolutions? Ran into a problem that I cannot find any help on PowerSolutions site to fix? I was just examining their new release of InsideScan version 2 for use with FM9 and FM11, and am using their trial database, Inside Scan, and copied the database twice, so that in one copy, I imported 10 files into the database and that database with 10 images imported is about 380 MB in size.  The second copied Database, I imported the very same images, but in this case by reference only, and made the  referenced image field a thumbnail, of the size of about 64 x 84 pixels, grascale, and bit depth 8. This database should be much smaller, and when I analyzed the 10 referenced thumbnail images actually imported, they add up to 79 kb in size for the total of the 10 images in the databse. BUT, when I closed both database files and looked at the actual file size of the two databases, the size of the database with the smaller thumbnails, is actually larger, when I expected it to be smaller, it is actually  450MB in size.   What?  The DB empty with no files is 13 kb. Why would the database with the referenced thumbnails be larger is size,  when the actual images imported  are much, much, I mean, much smaller in size?  End of original posting to this forum... Then I decided to delete all the records in the "problematic" database file that was 453 MB's in size, and what do you think the result was?  The File should have been the same as the empty file: 13 kb. But this was not the case, after I deleted all the records in the database, the file remained the size of 454 MB's !... Why does this happen?  Any thoughts? Bueller, Beuller, ....  Why?

• 1. Re: File Size Problems, Buggy?  Am I Missing something here?
          WoodApple

File Size has always been a bit odd....

Try to save a compressed copy or clone no records....I think this is more likly to get the result you expect.

Many things effect the file size including idexing of fields (So even opening a database, doing a find on a field and closing again will effect the size of the file).  In addtion, I don't think filemaker cleans up after itself very well and files tend not to get smaller as easily as they get bigger.