5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2010 12:07 PM by TMEG

FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely

TMEG

Summary

FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely

Description of the issue

FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely Filemaker 10.0.1.93Mac OS 10.5.8iMac G5 - 20" - Intel After working in a database for several hours, I QUIT from FileMaker. The computer would not shut down. I forced the computer to power down. I started the computer and tried to run the Filemaker app. It would not run. When trying to run FM I see the FM logo for a few seconds, then it disappears and nothing happens. No error message, nothing. I have tried reinstalling the FM Pro 10 application, I've tried removing the com.filemaker prefs and restarting FileMaker. Nothing works. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely
          TSGal

TMEG:

Thank you for your post.

If FileMaker Pro worked previously, something became damaged.  Uninstalling and reinstalling and removing the prefs file are definitely the first steps to take.  Since that failed, create a new user account on your Mac.  Log into the new user account and launch FileMaker Pro.  Does this work?  If so, then you have some issues with your original user account.  You could try running Disk Utility (found in "Hard Disk -> Applications -> Utilties" ), select the hard disk and repair disk permissions.  If this doesn't work, then there is something in your system that is causing the problem, and you'll need to do some sleuthing.

Please keep me informed with any progress.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely
            TMEG

Creating the new user caused FM Pro 10 to work when logged in to the new user.  I'm now on the phone with an Apple Support rep who doesn't seem to know what to do and is checking with his "senior advisors." Just trying to avoid having to recreate all my Mail settings and other settings if they're going to suggest reinstalling the OS or recreating the Library directory.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely
              TMEG

How do you uninstall Filemaker Pro 10?

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely
                TMEG

Apple Support rep came back on and said it's not an Apple problem and I should contact FileMaker support and try uninstalling then reinstalling Filemaker.

How do you uninstall Filemaker?

• 5. Re: FileMaker 10 (Mac) stopped working completely
                  TMEG

Thanks for your help.  It turns out that I had trashed the wrong preferences files for Filemaker. Went back and trashed the correct files and it works now.  Thanks again.