1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 15, 2009 8:46 AM by TSGal

Filemaker 10 : Show/Hide status area script step cancels window freeze and leads to flickering

Vincent_L

Summary

Filemaker 10 : Show/Hide status area script step cancels window freeze and leads to flickering

Description of the issue

Hi, I noticed that on Mac OS X leopard with Filemaker 10, the freeze window script step seems to be ignored if the show/hide status area (set to hide/lock) gets triggered because the previous window had it's status area displayed.You'll see linked a movie that shows the issue : visible window redrawing in FMP 10 while no visible redrawing occurs under FMP 9. The background of this discovery is the following : I've a layout (a complex one) that displays a pop-up window like  layout, so the user can enter some value. I made this in FMP 9. I carefully set my layout and set the window size as such that the layout fits perfectly the pop-up window. using the solution under Filemaker 10 was a disappointment because depending whether or not the main window had the status bar visible or not, the new pop-up window would be wrongly sized because FMP 10 show/hide status area actually shrinks the window contrary to the FMP 9 behaviour, where the status bar would collapse but keeping the window size intact. So I tried to get back the original behaviour : perfectly sized pop-up window whatever the main window "status" area status. That need to add an extra step in my display pop-up window script. But to my dismay, it also induces visible redrawing whenever the script was triggered while the main window status bar was visible, even though the freeze window script step is there.So not only FMP 10 odd shrinking window size when status bar gets hidden behaviours forces me to rework all my pop-up window display scripts, but it also introduce visible redrawing which is very ugly because the show/hide status area script steps seems to force window refresh and hence cancels the freeze window effect ! Here's the original Filemaker 9 script :Freeze Window New Window [ Name: "Simulation prix" ; Height: 250+22+15+10; Width: 493+3+15+13; Top: GetLayoutObjectAttribute ("BlocNPV" ;"bottom")+10; Left: GetLayoutObjectAttribute("BlocNPV" ;"Right")-(493+3+15+13) ] Show/Hide Status Area [ Lock; Hide ] Go to Layout [ “• dial simulation prix” (Bible Articles) ]  Here's the FMP 10 script that I hd to write to accommodate the fact that the Show/hide status area in FMP 10, changes the size of the window while it does not in Filemaker 9. So I had to add the Move/resize Window script step to get back the good window size that would fit my layout.Freeze Window New Window [ Name: "Simulation prix" ; Height: 250; Width: 493; Top: GetLayoutObjectAttribute ("BlocNPV" ;"bottom")+10; Left: GetLayoutObjectAttribute("BlocNPV" ;"Right")-(493+3+15+13) ] Show/Hide Status Area [ Lock; Hide ] Move/Resize Window [ Current Window; Height: 250; Width: 493] Go to Layout [ “• dial simulation prix” (Bible Articles) ]  Below you'll find a video showing the behaviour. Note that the FMP 9 movie actually runs the exact same script that FMP 10 does for a good comparison, even though the simpler FMP 9 script posted above was the only thing needed before.See the video showing the flickering  So, please, prevent the show/hide status area to force the refresh of the window.NOTE 1 : To reproduce a visible efect you've to have a complex main layout. With a simple one the flicker is much less visible but still present while it doesn't exists on FMP 9Note 2 : It's not just an apparence issue, that refresh slows down the solution.   

• 1. Re: Filemaker 10 : Show/Hide status area script step cancels window freeze and leads to flickering
          TSGal

Glitchtracker:

Thank you for your post, and more importantly, thank you for the video.  A picture/movie tells a thousand words.

The Status Bar area when turned off does shrink the window.  This has been reported by several users.  It appears the Layout Bar, that is attached to the Status Bar, is not incorporated into the reduction of the screen size.  In FileMaker 9, the Status information was on the side, so the height never changed.

In any case, your other problem is the flickering, and I have forwarded your entire post (and link to the movie) to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department so they can be aware of this issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.