FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0v3

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

This is a problem that has now occurred in two machines on our network. It gradually develops and worsens over time. When FileMaker is open, you gradually lose the ability to open windows in FileMaker or any other application you have open at the same time. Eventually, you either see dialogs that only partially display info or when you select a simple command like Delete Record that immediately pops up a confirmation dialog, this dialog does not appear.

Going by which computers have exhibited this behavior, I hypothesize that the number of windows and dialogs one opens and closes over time may be a factor in how quickly this issue develops. My development machine showed this behavior first (as developer, I open and close many more dialogs than any other user on the LAN.) then my bosses computer (he opens many more windows than an employee, but much less than I), developed this issue.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling FileMaker 10, then the v3 updater seems to temporarily fix the issue, which takes months to develop even on my developer's machine.

I have yet to encounter this issue with Filemaker 11.

Outcomes