1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2011 9:42 AM by hschlossberg

FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management

philmodjunk

Summary

FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0v3

Operating system version

Windows XP SP3

Description of the issue

This is a problem that has now occurred in two machines on our network. It gradually develops and worsens over time. When FileMaker is open, you gradually lose the ability to open windows in FileMaker or any other application you have open at the same time. Eventually, you either see dialogs that only partially display info or when you select a simple command like Delete Record that immediately pops up a confirmation dialog, this dialog does not appear.

Going by which computers have exhibited this behavior, I hypothesize that the number of windows and dialogs one opens and closes over time may be a factor in how quickly this issue develops. My development machine showed this behavior first (as developer, I open and close many more dialogs than any other user on the LAN.) then my bosses computer (he opens many more windows than an employee, but much less than I), developed this issue.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling FileMaker 10, then the v3 updater seems to temporarily fix the issue, which takes months to develop even on my developer's machine.

I have yet to encounter this issue with Filemaker 11.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
          5104919325FTN

I never encountered such problems with xp ...

Except with some grafic driver / grafic card.

Did you try the common grafic driver trick -- reducing the hardware acceleration (are those the proper english words for "Hardware Beschleunigung"?)

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
            philmodjunk

Yes, and it was not an issue here. Please note that the problem did not appear immediately, it took months of use before it manifested and then it gradually got worse. And reinstalling FileMaker 10 fixes the issue.

Another common factor that may or may not be the cause is that both of these computers had both FileMaker 5.5 and FileMaker 10 installed on them.

• 3. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post and I apologize for the late reply.

What other applications do you generally have open?  For clarification, after this starts occurring, and rather than reinstalling FileMaker Pro 10, if you reboot the computer and just start FileMaker Pro, does the problem continue?  The next time this occurs, can you count the number of open windows?  Is it possible you could send a video the next time this occurs?

Since this doesn't seem to occur with FileMaker Pro 11, I would not expect Development to return to FileMaker Pro 10 and investigate this issue.  However, I would still like to find the cause so our Testers can verify and check for it in future releases.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                philmodjunk

I personally don't even use 10 anymore as I have 11 advanced. It has not, so far, had this issue.

The only apps I used other than FileMaker on my own machine were MS Office apps, Internet Explorer (7 then 8), Word, Excel. There didn't seem to be any obvious connection. Gradually I encountered more and more cases where either a window (in any app or even a tab in Explorer) would either fail to open or would open and be incompletely drawn. Typically, closing windows or explorer tabs in any open application, then would then enable me to open the window, dialog or whatever successfully. The number of windows I could have open would get progressively smaller.

Since closing the other applications and launching just FileMaker would leave fewer windows open, that would likely enable FileMaker to function correctly, at least for a while longer.

I've now seen this on two computers (Mine did this twice before I upgraded) here and have seen posts in the forum from at least one other person that describe this same issue.

The common denominator for the two computers that exhibited this issue is they are the ones most likely to open and close large numbers of windows/dialogs/explorer tabs in a given business day. The machine with the most such actions (My development machine) exhibited this much earlier than the 2nd machine and our main regular use machines that are nearly FileMaker 10 only have yet to show a problem.

My main concern here is that the regular use machines are in a high volume point of sale environment where even a small delay can be a major issue. Just to be on the safe side, I plan to reinstall Filemaker 10 on each of these during down times to try to make sure they don't encounter this same issue.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                  5104919325FTN

Well, interesting, some pollution of the grafic card memory or ability.

Which grafic card do you use, and by the way, which printers are installed, and which network card (network card, yes, no kidding, )?

I heard from problems with a "NVIDIA nForce Ethernet Card" in conjunction* with a "NVIDIA GeForce 9400" grafic card.

And somme printer drivers are really insane (by the way, if you have a labelprinter, always use seagull drivers).

And by the way again, happy new year :-)

* I think you know what I mean, what is the right expression for this?

• 6. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since this does not occur with FileMaker Pro 11, I'm trying to determine if the problem with FileMaker Pro 10 occurs because of multiple windows open for all applications and if closing windows actually help.  I'm still not 100% clear that this is cumulative for the day, or for ongoing usage of FileMaker Pro over an extended period (days, weeks, etc.).  That is, after this occurs and the machine restarts, and no other windows are open, can you restart FileMaker Pro and work with it successfully without reinstalling?

"fabricker" may be on the right track.  I've heard of issues regarding graphic cards, but nothing that would be cumulative.  As far as Network cards, there were some issues with multiple network cards installed, but nothing attributed to a cumulative effect on FileMaker Pro launching and accessing windows.

I'm willing to pursue this further, so any additional information you can provide that will help me replicate the problem would be appreciated.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                      philmodjunk

It's cumulative over many days. That's part of what made this very hard to document. Closing windows will help short term.

If I select, say delete record from the records menu, and nothing happens instead of getting the delete record confirmation dialog to open and display corrrectly, I can usually close a different window or windows on any application currently open or even a tab in the web broswer and then can select the same menu option from the same file, same layout and it will, usually, appear.

• 8. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                        TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks again for the information.  I think I have enough to inquire about possible causes.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                          TSGal

All:

Sorry for the late reply.

There were a couple of "open windows" issues reported during the FileMaker Pro 10 time frame that did not occur in FileMaker Pro 9.  One problem seems to occur more frequently with the Status Toolbar showing.  This was fixed in FileMaker Pro 11.  The other issue (appears to be FileMaker Pro 10 opening windows until it reaches a point where it becomes unresponsive.  (This sounds like it might be the issue.) This also did not occur in FileMaker Pro 9.  The solution is to reboot the machine to restore memory, so it appears to be memory related.  I don't see any notes that this was fixed in FileMaker Pro 11, but then again, I don't have access to all of the development notes.

I have attached this thread to the second issue and will await feedback.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                            philmodjunk

The other issue (appears to be FileMaker Pro 10 opening windows until it reaches a point where it becomes unresponsive.  (This sounds like it might be the issue.)  The solution is to reboot the machine to restore memory, so it appears to be memory related.

This does not match what I've encountered. Rebooting did not seem to fix the problem. (Each day it got worse, remember?) Re-installing did.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                              philmodjunk

I have now confirmed this issue on a third computer here. This one eventually got so bad that drop down lists wouldn't drop down. And once again, re-installing Filemaker 10 on the computer resolved the issue.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                                hschlossberg

I haven't been following this board much in the past year or so, but I just came across this thread and thought I'd add my two cents.  One of my office machines is XP and I have not seen this issue there.  

But one of my clients runs a 'robot' machine that restarts FM10 on a Windows 2003 or 2008 machine every half-hour, and we definitely have a similar issue there.  When it happens, FMP has bad menus and only partial dialogs, and other open apps also display similar behavior.  Closing FMP at that time also automatically corrects the behavior in the other apps.  When these problems start showing up, that copy of FMP also starts crashing when viewing and/or running many scripts; the Windows error message usually refers to xdraw.dll.  In researching this issue, I came across the thread at Filemaker 10 Advanced crashes on Open on Windows XP, followed directions from TSGal in that thread, and this seems to have resolved the menu/dialog issue, as well as the script crashing.

My understanding is that it happens only after FMP has been restarted 1000 or so times after a reinstall.  It can be resolved via occasional deletion of a registry entry.

I'd be curious to hear if this resolves your issue, as well, Phil.

• 13. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                                  philmodjunk

I'm aware of the 1000 restarts bug, but this issue report hasn't been linked to it. In our environment, there seems to be a pattern linked not to how many times Filemaker is launched but rather to how FileMaker is used on that machine. My development machine acted up almost a year before this most recent machine. My bosses' machine somewhere in the middle. Other machines used by a different class of employee but on the same work schedule has yet to see this issue. I actually launch filemaker on my machine a bit less often than the others as they are used on Saturdays when I'm not here.

The apparent pattern is how often windows, dialogs, etc are opened/closed while Filemaker is running. As the developer I do that far more often than any other user. The boss keeps all the different FileMaker files open at once and frequently navigates from one to the other. The most recent computer opens windows/dialogs more frequently than the other users but not nearly so frequently as the machines where we have had to fix this problem. Could be coincidence of course...

• 14. Re: FileMaker 10 appears to corrupt Windows XP window management
                                    TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have updated the case with your last three posts.

TSGal
                                    FIleMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next