1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2012 11:51 AM by geekpak

Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it

geekpak

Summary

Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it

Description of the issue

I have submitted this bug to every place I could think of for Filemaker. I have seen others who have reported this bug as well. FM 10 broke ODBC. FM 11 continues to not work. I had all of my clients who purchased FM10, downgrade to FM 9. I advised all clients who wanted to upgrade to FM 10 to stay at FM 9 because 10 does not work. I will advise my clients not to purchase FM 11 for the same reasons. The issue has been documented by many, but in case you missed it, here it is again:1. Since FM 10 there seems to be some sort of arbitrary limit on query length. Some report 4096 characters.2. Since FM 10 even though the driver supports it, FM will not reliably execute multiple sql queries in one connection.3. NEW BUG: FM 11 exhibits the same issues as above, but now it doesn't even reliably report the last ODBC Error, it simply gives a blank response. It was difficult to wait out an entire version hoping that this issue would eventually be fixed. If FM 11 can't fix this issue, then we will have to seriously consider switching platform and taking all of our clients to another platform. Our business and our clients MUST have reliable database connectivity. Much of which depends on ODBC. I beg you to please fix the known issues that have been reported now for 2 versions of your product with ODBC.

• 1. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
          TSGal

geekpak:

Thank you for your post.

Looking over the case notes from our Testing department, the 4096 character was removed.  This "arbitrary limit on query length" was put into version 10 because several Oracle users in FileMaker 9 were having difficulty, and Oracle had a limit of 4096 characters.

Regarding point #2, this is the first I am hearing about it.  I know "reliably execute" means it is probably not easily reproducible and/or inconsistent, so any additional information you can provide would help so I can get it reported to Development and Testing for review and confirmation.

Point #3 definitely concerns me!  Are you noticing any specific error that should be reported?  Or, do the different errors run across the board.  For example, are you expecting "Invalid type" and never receive an error, or is this happening for all types of errors?  Any additional information, including "gut" feelings and potentially common errors, would be appreciated at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
            geekpak

Here is the additional information:

1. point 1 deals with for example an insert of a row with a lot of data, in our case a web page. We store local client data in our CMS locally using Filemaker and upload it to a productions server via ODBC. So a web page has content that can have a lot of copy that woudl exceed the 4096 limit.

I am glad to hear this has been resolved.

2. point 2 has to deal with the fact that we use filemaker to manage large scale websites, hundreds even thousands of pages. It is common to need to update hundreds or thousands of rows at a time. Doing this one query at a time can be very time consuming so we developed a spooling methodology where we can execute dozens, even hundreds of queries with each ODBC call.

This code has been in use for several years and works in FM 8, FM 8.5, and FM 9.

It doesn't seem to have ever worked in 10 and I immediately downloaded 11 yesterday and it seems to show erratic behavior in this regard. which leads us to point 3.

3. Because my testing 1 and 2 above produced spotty results next to running the exact same database in FM 8, 8.5 or 9, I started to look at the errors that FM 11 was reporting using get(LastODBCError). However 11 doesn't seem to report an error. FM 8, 8.5, 9 all report reliably from the ODBC driver. with FM 11 I get that there was an error, but it doesn't tell me what the error is, it is simply blank.

Specifically, I am using FileMaker to connect to MySQL 5.0.45 on OS X Server 10.5.8, through MyODBC 5.01.0005 running on an intel macbook pro running 10.6.2.

• 3. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
              TSGal

geekpak:

Thank you for the additional information.

FileMaker Pro 11 introduced a new ODBC driver, and even with our extensive testing, it looks like we overlooked something.  I have forwarded your post to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted.  If you notice any other inconsistencies, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                TSGal

geekpak:

Can you supply me with some of the SQL statements that were sent that receive a blank error message?  Any special characters being sent?  Our Testing department likes as much information possible to try and replicate the issue (even if it is inconsistent).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                  geekpak

I just ran the same test with the same results no error number is reported. As I mentioned the same database works for FM8, 8.5 and 9.

Here is a paste of the query block that was to be exucted. NOTE: I pasted this same block into Sequel Pro and executed them all without any errors. This seems to indicate that there are no problems with the queries.

What you have here is basically a DELETE statement paired with an INSERT statement for 100 rows. Except that your forums can't accept that many characters...so the sample has been truncated.

delete from people where personID='103Gppl4';insert into people values ( '103Gppl4','Mr.','test1','','last1','','','greeting1','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl5';insert into people values ( '103Gppl5','Mr.','test2','B.','last2','','','greeting2','?-?-?','','gvl102','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl3',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl6';insert into people values ( '103Gppl6','Ms.','test3','','last3','','','greeting3','null','','gvl103','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl7';insert into people values ( '103Gppl7','Mr.','test4','','last4','','','greeting4','?-?-?','','gvl102','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl8';insert into people values ( '103Gppl8','Mr.','test5','P.','last5','','','greeting5','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl9';insert into people values ( '103Gppl9','Mr.','test6','','last6','','III','greeting6','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl10';insert into people values ( '103Gppl10','Mr.','test7','','last7','','','greeting7','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl11';insert into people values ( '103Gppl11','Mr.','test8','','last8','','','greeting8','?-?-?','','','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl12';insert into people values ( '103Gppl12','Mr.','test9','','last9','','','greeting9','?-?-?','','gvl102','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl13';insert into people values ( '103Gppl13','','test10','','last10','','','greeting10','null','','gvl103','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl14';insert into people values ( '103Gppl14','Mr.','test11','','last11','','','greeting11','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl15';insert into people values ( '103Gppl15','Mr.','test12','','last12','','','greeting12','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl16';insert into people values ( '103Gppl16','Mr.','test13','J.','last13','','','greeting13','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl17';insert into people values ( '103Gppl17','Mr.','test14','','last14','','','greeting14','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl18';insert into people values ( '103Gppl18','Mr.','test15','','last15','','','greeting15','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl19';insert into people values ( '103Gppl19','Mr.','test16','','last16','','','greeting16','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl20';insert into people values ( '103Gppl20','Ms.','test17','','last17','','','greeting17','null','','gvl103','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl21';insert into people values ( '103Gppl21','Ms.','test18','','last18','','','greeting18','null','','gvl103','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl22';insert into people values ( '103Gppl22','Ms.','test19','','last19','','','greeting19','null','','gvl103','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl23';insert into people values ( '103Gppl23','Mr.','test20','','last20','','','greeting20','null','','gvl102','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl24';insert into people values ( '103Gppl24','','test21','','last21','','','greeting21','?-?-?','','','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl2','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl25';insert into people values ( '103Gppl25','','test22','','last22','','','greeting22','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl26';insert into people values ( '103Gppl26','Mr.','test23','','last23','','','greeting23','?-?-?','','gvl102','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl27';insert into people values ( '103Gppl27','','test24','','last24','','','greeting24','?-?-?','','','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl28';insert into people values ( '103Gppl28','Dr.','test25','','last25','','','greeting25','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl29';insert into people values ( '103Gppl29','Dr.','test26','','last26','','','greeting26','?-?-?','','','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl2','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl30';insert into people values ( '103Gppl30','Mr.','test27','','last27','','','greeting27','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl31';insert into people values ( '103Gppl31','Ms.','test28','','last28','','','greeting28','?-?-?','','','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl2','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl32';insert into people values ( '103Gppl32','Ms.','test29','','last29','','','greeting29','?-?-?','','','','?','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl33';insert into people values ( '103Gppl33','Ms.','test30','','last30','','','greeting30','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);delete from people where personID='103Gppl34';insert into people values ( '103Gppl34','','test31','','last31','','','greeting31','null','','','','','gvl3','gvl3','gvl3','mlmth4','gvl2',NULL);

• 6. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                    TSGal

geekpak:

Thanks for all the information.  I have forwarded all the information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I hear back, I'll let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                      geekpak

any word on if this has yet been resolved?

• 8. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                        TSGal

geekpak:

No other information available at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                          TSGal

geekpak:

After inquiring some more about your post, I received the following information:

"We do not support MyODBC Connector 5.01.0005.  Testing MyODBC connector 5.1.6 with FileMaker Pro 11, we experienced crashes.  Please direct customer to Knowledge Base Article #6420 for supported ODBC drivers with FileMaker Pro 11."

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                            geekpak

As I noted above:

1. This problem is reproducable in filemaker 10 and 11

2. it is reproducable using both the MyODBC driver and the Actual Technologies driver

It's also important to note:

1. In Filemaker 8, 8.5 and 9 this problem does NOT exist

2. both the MyODBC driver and the Actual Technologies drivers work

FileMaker can pretend that this is a driver issue, but this is a bug that I have notified FileMaker of since the release of FileMaker 10. 

WE AND ALL OF OUR CLIENTS HAVE NOT UPGRADED TO FM 10. WE WILL NOT UPGRADE TO FM 11. SINCE IT APPEARS THAT FM DOES NOT WANT TO SUPPORT IT'S DEVELOPERS AND IT'S CLIENTS IT LOOKS LIKE WE WILL NEED TO BEGIN TO EXPLORE NEW TOOLS FOR OUR CLIENTS.

I am and have always been a huge fan of FileMaker. However allowing an obvious and reproducable bug that spans several versions of the application with clear information on how to test and isolate the issue, to remain in your product indicates a significant change in direction for Filemaker. Why should we spend money on your product when you show no interest in fixing BUGS THAT YOU HAVE INTRODUCED?

• 11. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                              TSGal

geekpak:

I have sent the information back to Development for a reason for the change.  I'll keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                                geekpak

I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

• 13. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                                  geekpak

So i noticed that nothing has been posted regarding any progress.

And just to be thorough and give your tech support guys the benefit of the doubt, I went ahead and grabbed a copy of Actual Technologies ODBC version 3.0 per the advice in the article they gave you (http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6420)

Here are the results...just  as I have described numerous times. All tests were run using the same database, same server, same Actual Technologies Driver. Only the version of FileMaker changed:

FM 10

- I set the query threshold at 100. RESULT: FAILURE

- so I set the query threshold at 10. RESULT: FAILURE

FM 11

- I set the query threshold at 100. RESULT: FAILURE

- so I set the query threshold at 10. RESULT: FAILURE

So neither FM10 or FM11 will execute multiple queries, just as I described. Both of them fail to report any error from the ODBC driver, just as I described. So we now know that FM 10 and FM 11 do NOT work with any ODBC driver when connected to MySQL.

I ran the same tests in FM 9...I know you'll be surprised by the results:

FM 9

- I set the query threshold at 10. RESULT: SUCCESS in all tests

- so I set the query threshold at 100. RESULT: SUCCESS in all tests

- so i set the query threshold to 1000. RESULT: SUCCESS in all tests

So I have verified, AGAIN, that FM9 works with all drivers, MyODBC, Actual Technologies. It reports errors correctly from the driver, it performs batch inserts and deletions correctly.

However FM10 and FM11 are broken, have not, and do not work in any circumstances.

So I ask again. When is this issue going to be resolved?

• 14. Re: Filemaker 10 Broke ODBC and Filemaker 11 Still Doesn't Fix it
                                    TSGal

geekpak:

I just made another inquiry for more information and attached your last post.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next