5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 7:46 AM by AppleJimi

FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste

AppleJimi

Summary

FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10.0v1, FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1 Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP SP3 Detailed description of the issue:Pasting this text into text field crashes FM client:  VACATION AND/OR PERSONAL DAY REQUEST FORMName: ___________________________    Today's Date: ______________Follow the procedure outlined below for Vacation and Personal days.1.    You must give a minimum of  7 days notice for vacation days.2.    You must give a minimum of 3 days notice for personal days.3.    Before you fill out this form, check with your supervisor to be sure that no one else is off in your department the day/days you are requesting.    A.    A Maximum of 1 diemaker (per shift) off on any given day.    B.    A Maximum of 1 designer (per shift) off on any given day.    C.    A Maximum of 1 laser person (per shift) off on any given day.    D.    A Maximum of 1 shipping person (per shift) off on any given day.    E.    A Maximum of 1 quality control person (per shift) off on any given day.    F.    A Maximum of 1 order processing person (per shift) off on any given day.    G.    A Maximum of 1 office person (per shift) off on any given day.THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THE ABOVE4.    Both vacation and personal days are on a first come first serve basis and are at management's discretion.5.    All forms must be dated and signed by you and your supervisor to be deemed a valid request.                                                                                                           Left                LeftDate                             Personal         Vacation       No Pay              Early/             Early/                                                                                                           Sick               Slow_______________         ____               ____            ____                ____               ___________________         ____               ____            ____                ____               ____ _______________         ____               ____            ____                ____               ___________________         ____               ____            ____                ____               ___________________         ____               ____            ____                ____               ____         ________________________________   _______________________________                Employees Signature                                  Supervisors Signature & DateOffice Use only:_____ Emp./Dep    _____Vac. Cal  ____Barb Cal ____ Wall cal  ____Payroll Exact steps to reproduce the issue:1.  Create a database2. Create a text field, save changes 3. Go to layout in Browse mode and paste text Expected Result:The text appears in text fieldActual Result:FM 10.0v1 client crashesExact text of any error message(s) that appeared: Event Type:    ErrorEvent Source:    Application ErrorEvent Category:    NoneEvent ID:    1000Date:        4/14/2009Time:        1:46:57 PMUser:        N/AComputer:    ZF7CTP41Description:Faulting application filemaker pro advanced.exe, version 10.0.1.89, faulting module xtext.dll, version 10.0.1.89, fault address 0x0001e13a.For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.Data:0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail0010: 75 72 65 20 20 66 69 6c   ure  fil0018: 65 6d 61 6b 65 72 20 70   emaker p0020: 72 6f 20 61 64 76 61 6e   ro advan0028: 63 65 64 2e 65 78 65 20   ced.exe0030: 31 30 2e 30 2e 31 2e 38   10.0.1.80038: 39 20 69 6e 20 78 74 65   9 in xte0040: 78 74 2e 64 6c 6c 20 31   xt.dll 10048: 30 2e 30 2e 31 2e 38 39   0.0.1.890050: 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66 73    at offs0058: 65 74 20 30 30 30 31 65   et 0001e0060: 31 33 61 0d 0a            13a..  Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:Text was created in FM Pro 9.0v3, have tried to paste text on several different computers with same result. Just opening record on hosted database with this text will crash FM FileMaker Pro 10.0v1 client. Any workarounds that you have found:None, even manually typing in text with same formating has crashed FM client 10.0v1

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste
          philmodjunk

Apple Jimi,

I'm using the same set up. Windows Xp sp3, FMP 10 adv.

I copied the text from your post, switched to a copy of FMP that I already had open to show a large scale text field and pasted the text. No crash or any other problems.

The file was a client of FMS 10.

I'd try:

Paste the text into a new file's text field.

Copy the text from your own post to the thread and paste it into a text field.

Let us know what happens.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste
            hschlossberg
               I'm with PhilModJunk on this.  Try pasting the same text into a plain text editor and then copying from there to paste into FileMaker.  My guess is that there are "illegal" characters in your text and that FMP is handling these characters poorly.  One other thing you can try (in case users will regularly be pasting random text into FileMaker) is to use an auto-enter calc on that field (or an OnObjectModify script trigger) in conjunction with the filter() function to clean up the text to legal/expected characters before it gets saved.
            • 3. Re: FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste
              AppleJimi
                 I tried coping the text from this post and pasting it into a FM10 text field, still crashed.

I tried pasting the text into MS Notepad then coping the text from Notepad and pasting it into a FM10 text field, still crashed.

As I said this was created in FM9 with no problems, wouldn't FM9 also have a problem if it was illegal character(s)?

Database with this text is hosted and FM9 has no problems, view, edit, copy, paste. I cannot even open the record in FM10 to view without FM10 crashing.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste
                philmodjunk

Try it on a text field in a brand new file and see if you see the same problem.

Try pasting entirely different text and see if the problem occurs.

Since we can paste into an FMP 10 client of FMS 10, Windows XP, SP3, there must be something different between your situation and mine.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 10 Client crash on text paste
                  AppleJimi
                     The problem seems to be SMTPit Plug-In. I did a clean install of Windows, FMA 10 and did not have the problem until I installed SMTPit Plug-In.