4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 11:10 AM by StephMel

FileMaker 10 Date Formating Error

StephMel

Summary

FileMaker 10 Date Formating Error

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FileMaker Pro 10Operating System(s) involved:Mac 10.5.5Detailed description of the issue:OS Date Formating error Exact steps to reproduce the issue:With FileMaker 10, in the section "File Option" of the menu "File", on the tab "Text", when you activate the option to always use the OS formating, FileMaker apply the OS date format to the date raw data in the file. This option is vital to conform the dates format and to avoid any confusion. FileMaker 10 omits this parameter when it carries out the function script “Insert calculation result”. Consequently, if one uses this function to insert a range of dates coming from a calculation carried out on headings dates whose their creation go back to FM7, the range of dates inserted by this calculation will have the format of date of origination of database instead of the OS date and will cause an error of execution of script. Expected Result:The OS format should apply to dates fields included in an insert calculation result script Actual Result:Bad date format File:I have a demo file of this bug. 

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 Date Formating Error
          TSGal

StephMel:

Thank you for your post.

This is probably related to a problem that was reported earlier.  That is, if you use "Show Custom Dialog" when referencing a date field, the date is formatted in the original language format, regardless of what setting you use.

Your file would be helpful indeed.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 Date Formating Error
            TSGal

StephMel:

I have received your file and I can duplicate the problem.  I have forwarded the information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  I will post updates when I hear something.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker 10 Date Formating Error
              TSGal

StephMel:

It appears that any text calculation with a date involved uses the original file settings.  You would need to use the GetAsDate() function to get the system setting.  With that knowledge, I changed your original script from:

Enter Find Mode []

Insert Calculated Result [ Select ; Date ; gDateD & "..." & gDateF ]

Perform Find [] 

to:

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ Date ; gDateD ]

Insert Text [ "..." ]

Insert Calculated Result [ GetAsDate ( gDateF ) ] 

Perform Find []

----------

For now, just be aware that any text calculations that involve a date field will display in the format of the original system.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 Date Formating Error
                StephMel
                   Thanks for the work around. That means I will have to modify all insert calculation script function in all databases before to upgrade my customer to FM10. Another person suggested me to make un cloned copy of the file. All dates field of new cloned copy will have the format date of my OS.