4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 12:08 AM by oldgustav

FileMaker 10 for Mac OS 10.6.1 SL - does not maximise from Dock correctly.

oldgustav

Summary

FileMaker 10 for Mac OS 10.6.1 SL - does not maximise from Dock correctly.

Description of the issue

When I minimise FileMaker 10 to the Dock (yellow button) and them maximise (click on Filemaker icon in the Dock) - FileMaker 10 does not reappear as it should. Instead I have to click and hold on the icon in the Dock and select the window (of which there is only the one). Is this a Filemaker 10 bug perhaps, because all other apps behave as they should - ie. reappear when clicking on the icon in the Dock? FileMaker 8.3 behaves correctly also. Try it and see.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 for Mac OS 10.6.1 SL - does not maximise from Dock correctly.
          TSGal

oldgustav:

Thank you for your post.

I'm not sure I understand correctly.  If I minimize a window on either Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) or Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard), the window will not reappear until I select it again.  If I select another application and then click on the FileMaker icon in the Dock, it will bring me back to FileMaker Pro the way I left it.  Snow Leopard now gives you the ability to hold down the dock and if any files are docked, you can now select it.  This did not occur with Leopard.

I have tried this with FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 9.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 for Mac OS 10.6.1 SL - does not maximise from Dock correctly.
            oldgustav

I'm not sure I understand correctly.  If I minimize a window on either Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard) or Mac OS X 10.6.1 (Snow Leopard), the window will not reappear until I select it again.  If I select another application and then click on the FileMaker icon in the Dock, it will bring me back to FileMaker Pro the way I left it.  Snow Leopard now gives you the ability to hold down the dock and if any files are docked, you can now select it.  This did not occur with Leopard.

I have tried this with FileMaker Pro 10 and FileMaker Pro 9.

I don't know how to explain it any other way - but without exception, all other apps can be minimised to the Dock and then made to 'reappear' by simply clicking on the relevant Dock icon. The exception here is Filemaker 10. Instead I must click and hold - and as you say the open files are displayed. In this case there is just one Filemaker 10 file. I have to select it in order to make it 'reappear' again. I am very familiar with the differences between Leopard and Snow Leopard. The problem I am encountering does not happen with FMP8.3 which I also have running - one click of the FMP8 icon in the dock makes the last minimised file 'reappear'. The problem with FMP10 appears to be a bug with SL.
            • 3. Re: FileMaker 10 for Mac OS 10.6.1 SL - does not maximise from Dock correctly.
              TSGal

oldgustav:

Thank you for the clarification.

In FileMaker Pro 8 and previous versions, users complained that selecting the application FileMaker Pro would open docked windows, thereby destroying the environment.  This was changed in FileMaker Pro 8.5 (and all subsequent versions).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 for Mac OS 10.6.1 SL - does not maximise from Dock correctly.
                oldgustav
                   Thanks very much for your explanation. It might be worth mentioning this 'feature' in the user manual so that Mac users don't think their OS is playing up.