1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2010 6:10 AM by LaRetta_1

FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug

BruceR

Summary

FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug

Description of the issue

FileMaker 10 is IMHO not usable at this time if you have large blocks of text.I filed a bug report on this problem immediately after receiving the preview version.MacOS, 10.5.6, 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAMAttempting to put large values into text fields or scroll large text blocks will completely freeze FileMaker and your entire computer.I discovered this when testing the new Get ( DocumentsPathListing ) function.In my case, the listing process takes about 10 minutes and if successful produces 170,000 entries.Once the script places the resulting values in the field, you can attempt to scroll the field. This will lock up FileMaker and all applications become unusable.I don't know what the limit is or what text block size becomes unusable. --Bruce RobertsonConcise DesignFileMaker 9 Certified

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
          TSGal

BruceR:

I need some additional information.

This is what I have done, so let me know if I'm on the right track.

1. I created a text field and sized it to be 20+ lines.

2. I formatted the field in Layout Mode as an Edit box and to include a vertical scroll bar.

3. I copied and pasted information into this field.  I created an additional calculation field that takes the length of the text field, and it is now 1,500,000+ characters in length.  The data is all scrollable and does not lock up.

If my field set up is different from yours, please let me know.

Another factor....  I am using MacOS 10.5.5, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, so I'm hoping this might be a 10.5.6 issue.

Do you have another machine that hasn't been updated to 10.5.6?  I'm only trying to narrow this down and pinpoint the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
            BruceR
               Increase to 20,000,000 characters or so.
            • 3. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
              TSGal

BruceR:

I've increased it to 20,000,000+ characters.  It is slow, taking almost 20 seconds just to get into the field.  I can then scroll the fields without a problem.

Your example is a little extreme for me.  What are you putting into this field that takes up so much space?  I'm curious. 

I just copied and pasted into the field making it 40,000,000+ characters.  35-40 seconds just to get in and out of the field, and although it is slow, it is working.

Let me know what else to try.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                DarrenTerry

I cannot reproduce this here, Bruce.  I'm using FMPA 10 on a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.6, 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM.

I have a text field formatted as TSGal indicates (big field with scroll bar).  I put Get ( DocumentsPathListing ) into the field, which resulted in about half a million characters for me.  (It's a new MacBook).  I copied that and pasted it at the end, which doubled the size.  I did this over and over again until the number of characters was just above 32 million.  FM did not crash.

That's not to say it's usable, either.  It became unusably slow somewhere around 8 million characters, taking upwards of thirty seconds simply to enter the field, and over a minute to highlight the contents when I chose Select All.  Pasting took about as long, and it gets longer (of course) the more I'm copying and pasting.  I get a pinwheel cursor for a long time before control returns.  But I'm still able to Cmd-Tab to another app easily; the computer hasn't frozen or crashed.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                  BruceR
                     This is still a big problem. For instance today I used a custom function to pull a text block of 248,000 characters into a field. The text block is all run together, there are no returns and no spaces. It is quoted, and may take 10 minutes to get into. Even if I succeed in getting into the field it will never scroll to the trailing characters and trailing quote mark. If you can't reproduce the problem then please tell me what to do next; where to send sample files or what logs to monitor or whatever you need to do to establish that this is in fact a problem.
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                    BruceR
                       Another note. While trying to navigate in this field, I can get the cursor down toward the last characters. But while trying to move toward the end, the cursor moves to a kind of zombie zone where there is no text and if I try to press right arrow, the cursor jumps around in a clear space within the text block that has no characters. Though constantly pressing the right arrow the cursor will be jumping back and forth about a 1/4 inch.
                    • 7. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                      BruceR

I have spent the last five hours with this file and this problem. In FileMaker 9, all field navigation is instant. I imported the table into a different file and opened that in 9.0. Once again, terrible delays if opened in 10.0 but instant performance in 9.0.

You can download the file here: http://files.me.com/bfr/endtej

This is just an ugly test file but it demonstrates the problem. See last record in Expressions layout. Because I pulled this over from another file the calculations don't work but that isn't the issue. Just try to navigate in the Result field of the last record. 

• 8. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                        TSGal

BruceR:

I downloaded the file and I was able to reproduce the problem.  I also opened it in FileMaker Pro 9 and noticed the problem was non-existent.

I have written up the problem and submitted it to Development and Software Quality Assistance (Testing) departments for review.  I did notice that a performance issue had already been reported, but your case is a more extreme example.

If I hear any additional information, I will post it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                          DarrenTerry
                             Bruce, I can reproduce your problem with your sample file.  The problem seems to be worse when the text block consists of a single "value" (that is, no carriage returns), vs. if it has multiple values.  I think that's odd, and is possibly a clue (for engineering) as to what is going on internally.
                          • 10. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                            BruceR
                               After all this time and a few v-revs, the problem is unchanged or maybe even worse. This is terrible for complex reporting. This just wasn't a problem in previous versions.
                            • 11. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                              MartinBrändle

Seems to be related with this bug: http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=3487

Can anybody write a test that little by little increase field content and measures the time needed to change the field? 

• 12. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                                BruceR
                                   Perhaps related. Also discovered - the format of the text can make a difference. I had a 1.6MB xml file that absolutely locks up FileMaker. This was repeated by Stephen Wonfor and was discussed on Technet. A more ordinary text file is terribly slow but does not lock up FileMaker. In FM9 content copied from either file pastes instantly.
                                • 13. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                                  TSGal

BruceR:

Just to confirm....  Yes, this was not a problem in prior versions.  Yes, it was not updated in the vrev's.  Yes, Development is definitely aware of the issue.  Unfortunately, that is all the information I have at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 14. Re: FileMaker 10 Large Text Block Bug
                                    BruceR
                                       Thanks. Discouraging that it should go on this long. Imagine it is now being rolled into "next version will be better - honest."
                                    1 2 Previous Next