12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2009 4:58 PM by philmodjunk

FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)

Solgreen

Summary

FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)

Description of the issue

I have been using FileMaker with the Actual ODBC Driver (MySQL, MS SQL 2008, Oracle) in a large university.  I worked closely (to verify the issue) with the tech support at Actual Technologies (which stated it was a FileMaker 10 problem). We use FileMaker to pull, push, and interact with other SQL databases on campus and we just found out that FileMaker 10 limited the "Execute SQL" function to only 4K of text. FileMaker 9 or previous versions do not have this limit and work perfectly.  This is a disappointment.  I was looking forward to using FileMaker 10 and the new features, but will not be able to make the move.   

• 1. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
          TSGal

Solgreen:

Thank you for your post.

One of our external test sites for FileMaker Pro 10 reported something similar (using Oracle), but we were unable to reproduce the problem with up to 20,000 characters.

We would like to see your query so we can try and reproduce the problem here.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the query (or queries) that fails.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
            TSGal

Solgreen:

I received your file, and I have forwarded the file (along with the entire email dialog) to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department for review.  If I receive any feedback, I will report it here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
              Solaris

This seems to be an issue for some on this forum.

Can FileMaker tell us WHY the limit is intentionally 4096-characters in FileMaker 10 AND if FileMaker plans on releasing any sort of update soon to remove this limit so it'll behave like FileMaker 9?  We are finding it difficult to move to FM 10.

If the answer is "No, the limit will remain at 4096 characters", can you provide examples as to how to best re-code old FileMaker "Execute SQL" functions to send multiple 4K chunks?

We create tables in one SQL statement that exceeds 4096 characters easily.

References: 

Execute SQL

Execute SQL     http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&message.id=2396

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&thread.id=2689

http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=aut&thread.id=2514

http://fm.lithium.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/aut/message-id/1632 

Thank you for your help. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                geekpak

We have a similar but somewhat different experience of the same issue.

We have done exhaustive testing and troubleshooting on both Windows and Mac OS X.

Our application works on the same computers, using the same database, connecting to the same ODBC MySQL datasource using the same drive in FM 7, FM8, FM 8.5 and FM 9.

The only ODBC / SQL that fails is in FM 10.

Import via ODBC seems to work, but execute SQL does not. 

In our case we execute multiple statements in batches to improve performance. With FM 10 this does not work.

I waited for the updates to come out, and even after the updates to 10.0.3 ODBC does not work.

I have detailed troubleshooting from multiple clients if FM would like more details.

We too are not upgrading to 10 and in fact have downgraded all of our clients back to 8 and 9 until this problem is resolved.

• 5. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                  TSGal
                  geekpak:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro 10, the maximum length for SQL statements was changed to 4,096 characters, because a number of users were reporting crashes with Oracle, and Oracle has a limit of 4,096 characters.

This has negatively affected several users who relied on sending statements longer than 4,096 characters.

I have sent a request to our Development and Product Management departments to consider changing this in a future release.  I would also encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.
                  • 6. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                    LaRetta_1

TSGal wrote:
                    In FileMaker Pro 10, the maximum length for SQL statements was changed to 4,096 characters, because a number of users were reporting crashes with Oracle, and Oracle has a limit of 4,096 characters.

Well, I went through all the *documentation I could find (on purchasing FM10).  The question is asked, "Are there any behavioral changes in FileMaker Pro 10 compared to the prior version?" And the document "Behavior Changes in FM 10" shows absolutely nothing about this (when helping someone decide whether to upgrade to vs. 10).  Heck, YOU didn't even know 6 months ago!!! How many customers have upgraded to vs. 10 only to find out they can't use it now?  And, more importantly, who is the hon-yok who made such a decision without even THINKING that it might affect a lot of customers - most using SQL and now which will trash out! 

Don't you think it is time to re-vamp your company and hire some competent people with common sense in these capacities (starting with replacing the Product Manager)?  We Developers know not to change something in OUR programs without documenting the change.  This is a HUGE blunder.  And you think the change back should be a Feature Request?  OMG

* Clarified that there may be tech info article now but it's too late ... this information should have been available when people were considering purchasing FM 10.

• 7. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                      LaRetta_1
                         Well, I was told that there was another big thread here about the issue.  So I made the assumption that it would have been put on the knowledge base.  But I can find nothing on FileMaker and this was first reported in March!  TSGal, I know you said you were going to put this stuff on knowledge base 'as you got the time' but I would suggest you hire some high school girl at minimum wage to help you simply get the information out.  This 'when I get the time' to tell people about bugs is same head-trip that FileMaker uses with 'we'll fix the bugs when we get the time.'
                      • 8. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                        TSGal

LaRetta:

I don't even know where to start.

Yes, I didn't know about this change until six months ago.  Why wasn't it included in the behavioral changes?  I can't answer that.

I didn't say the change back is a Feature Request.  This is definitely a change from FileMaker Pro 9, and it is definitely logged as an issue.  However, this change fixed a problem with Oracle users who were crashing, and as a result of the fix, it affected others adversely.

There is only so much I can do on my end reporting this.  I just want to make sure everyone gets heard.  That's all.

Yes, I dropped the ball on getting information into the Knowledge Base.  This issue is now in the Knowledge Base as Article #7418:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7418

Right now, I'm the only person on the FileMaker forum.  My boss knows another person is needed.  Hiring "some high school girl at minimum wage" (why not a boy?) is not an option at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                          LaRetta_1

Why not a boy?  I'm not sexist; don't imply I am.  Wel if I hadn't pushed, it STILL wouldn't be on the knowledge base smart pants so you snarl and sniff and 'poor me' with the "There is only so much I can do on my end reporting this" but the bottom line is, you are the ONLY CONNECTION we have.  And if we don't begin to get strong, you blow us off.  I realize you are carrying this by yourself but who else can we speak to?   And we have tried the 'nice guy' routine for years now and received nothing.

If FileMaker can't afford to hire someone to assist (both on this forum and fixing bugs) then it is another DIRECT INDICATION of their lack of taking responsibility.  WE ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!!!!!!!  And you treat us like an afterthought.  Hiring another person is not an option at this time?  And neither is providing us your bugTracker list (or even putting it on knowledge base) and neither is hiring extra engineers so you can FIX YOUR MESS!  This seems to be recurring words out of your mouth ... "not an option at this time" and "no further information available at this time" and yada yada.

If FileMaker considers this site their token attempt to appease then that is fine but don't deceive yourself.  And don't try to advertise it as a serious attempt to solve the mass volume of serious bugs because we all know that simply isn't true.  All you do is confirm, document and move on.  So do just that.

• 10. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                            LaRetta_1

TSGal wrote:
                            I have sent a request to our Development and Product Management departments to consider changing this in a future release.  I would also encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Suggestion web form at:

But you didn't suggest it as a Feature Suggestion?  :smileysurprised:

TSGal also said, "This has negatively affected several users who relied on sending statements longer than 4,096 characters."

Yes, like more than half of the SQL community.  And all you do is remind me that you don't know why it was changed.  Why not just skip all that stuff ... don't bother tellings us what you know that you don't know.  We need answers, not fluff.

• 11. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                              geekpak

Just wanted to let the folks at FileMaker know that I just advised a client not to upgrade their volume license or their server license from 9 to 10 because the of the bugs with ODBC.

And yes, I did add all of this to the feature request board.

The fact that a person inside filemaker keeps telling customers to tell filemaker about our problems is frankly a little infuriating.

• 12. Re: FileMaker 10 Limited (Execute SQL - Now Only 4K of Text Allowed)
                                philmodjunk

"The fact that a person inside filemaker keeps telling customers to tell filemaker about our problems is frankly a little infuriating."

TSGal is simply suggesting a way for you to get the maximum possible audience within Filemaker Inc. for you complaints/feature requests.

FMI personnel (not just TSGal) do monitor this forum, but apparently requests logged via the request form accompanied with real life examples of why the issue is important have additional "weight" when Filemaker Management sets priorities for bug fixes and improvements.